Timing control problem

S

Simon Johnston

Hi people,
I am studying an Electronics degree and have been recently thrown into the world of Control engineering. I have an important project to complete. Its based on an Analogous input with different fixed time delay outputs set depending on other inputs and the analogous measurement. The system needs to be able to recalculate the time left from the different time delays depending on the input measurements, which will be sampled on a continuous bases. I was thinking of a PID or fuzzy-logic solution and would appreciate any pointers or ideas that anyone might think would be beneficial to me. Many thanks!!!

N

Nilesh Pradhan

Hi there...
What is it that you really want? I need to know more before I try to help.
If you need a timer, then I would recommend the
NI PC-TIO-10. It is easy to setup.

-Nilesh

J

Johan Bengtsson

I think you have to explain in more detail what you really want to do and what part of the project you need help with (if it is starting up the project that is a part of the project too) before anyone can give you any useful help.

As I read the question you want to delay an analog signal to several analog outputs and be able to adjust the delay time, but I didn't
really understand either why you want to do that or if it was what you have in mind or not.

/Johan Bengtsson

Do you need education in the area of automation?
----------------------------------------
P&L, Innovation in training
Box 252, S-281 23 H{ssleholm SWEDEN
Tel: +46 451 49 460, Fax: +46 451 89 833
E-mail: [email protected]
Internet: http://www.pol.se/
----------------------------------------

B
Not to get pendantic, but pointer #1 is to state the problem clearly, and concisely, else GIGO (garbage in; garbage out) reigns.

Its based on an Analogous input with different fixed time delay outputs set depending on other inputs and the analogous measurement. The system
needs to be able to recalculate the time left from the different time delays depending on the input measurements, which will be sampled on a
continuous bases.

How many other inputs? What types? What time intervals? How "continuously" will the input measurements be sampled? Every 10 milliseconds? 500 microseconds?

Truth is, I've re-read your problem statement several times, and get the basic gist of what you are looking for. However, without nailing down the
details more precisely I find it impossible to give a useful answer. Or perhaps it is better to say that I could give you several hundred
*different* answers.

My suggestion is to become acquainted with the teachings of a geometer named Polya. He taught geometry, and codified a heuristic procedure for
picking apart and solving problems in the book "How To Solve It" (it's still in print, and various form of the list are posted on the web).
Learning how to state the problem goes a log way towards solving it.

Use the word 'analog', not 'analogous'. It's three letters shorter, and has the added benefit of being correct.

"Analogous" comes from two Greek root words - analogos (proportion) and logos (reasoning). It's meaning is to show how things are similar to one
another, as in "an audio CD is analogous to a 33-1/3 RPM LP record" - the similarity being both contain roughly the same amount of playable sound.

Our engineering sense of the word "Analog" is of recent origin, and was birthed in the first wave of the computer revolution (back when they used
amplifiers, integrators, and differentiators instead of digital circuits). Analog computers yield values that are continuously variable rather than ones and zeros.

Bob

Sounds to me like this is more of a discrete system with an analog input. The analog input can be analyzed using algorithms such as a high-low monitor. Time calculations would use internal timers set by corresponding outputs, if I understand your project correctly there is no need for PID or fuzzy logic.