Need information on OP7 and OP17

O

Oscar Reyes

I'm new to SIEMENS but with some years of experience in automatics. My next project includes an S7400 with 6 drives DC SIMOREG, an OP7 and a OP17 connected via PROFIBUS DP for dosification of raw material in cement industry.
At this moment, i don't have any good manual about OP7 and OP17. I need to design the operator interface for that operator's panels. I have no time to loss. I need your help. (Excuse my english)
Thanks

Oscar,

If you need help or need a function block- just come back to this site. I have one for the 6RA24 and the 6RA70. Which one are you using??

M

Michael Griffin

I've used a number of Siemens OPs, including both the OP7 and OP17. They have a number of very good features which will save you a lot of work if you
use them in the way they were intended. If you have some particular questions to ask, I would be happy to offer what help I can. If you are just looking for some suggestions of what features might be useful and in what manner, we can discuss that as well.

You can download manuals from the Siemens web site. These manuals won't tell you how to do your project, but they are a good reference for details once you know what you want to do. You should download them if you haven't already
done so.

--
Michael Griffin
London, Ont. Canada

Hello Michael
A few months ago i wrote to Control list asking for OP7 and OP17 and you answered my question. I use a S7400 CPU 412-2DP, 1 OP7 and 1 OP17. My images on both OP are working Ok, but the alarms don't work well. I need help on how to configure the alarms. In the documentation there are references to Communication manual. What about it?

Regards
Oscar

M

Michael Griffin

You shouldn't need the Communications manual to use the alarms. However, when you say "the alarms don't work well", what do you mean? They should either work "well" or not at all. Do the alarms come up, and can you acknowledge them?
The most common problem I have seen when using alarms (or events) is triggering the wrong one - or even more confusing, triggering ones that don't exist. If this is the problem you are having, then I have found it very useful to not leave any "blank" alarms in any alarms words. Rather, if I don't need an alarm in a defined alarm word, I define a default alarm message for it.
To make that a bit clearer, if I have an alarm word with 16 possible alarms in it, but have only used 10 of them, then I define default messages for the other 6 such as "Alarm 11", "Alarm 12", etc. This way, if I trigger the wrong alarm, then I will at least get a message and discover my mistake.

If the above doesn't answer your question, then if you could provide more details as to what your problem is, and I will try to help.

Michael Griffin
London, Ont. Canada