AB PLC 4

P

Phillip Decker

I called Rockwell and asked about software to program the PLC4 and they told me there wasn't any.
Does anyone know how it is programmed? It has an EEPROM and I can read the contents. I can't
figure out what the data means. Does anyone know the data structure. It has a DB25 connectir on
it. Does anyone have a pinout on it. I have looked for documentation on the web but I haven't
had much luck yet. What I need to do is to look at the program so I can change a timer value.
Thanks for any help you can provide.
Phillip Decker

T
Never heard of a PLC4.

AB makes a PLC/5 and a SLC5/04, and several others. Getting your model right will go along way to getting help. Power down the PLC and remove the processor module. Get the COMPLETE catalog number off the side of the module. Then reinsert it and power up the PLC. DO NOT REMOVE UNDER POWER. If its a PLC5 you need Logix5 from Rockwell. If its a SLC5/04 you will need Logix500 from Rockwell. Both are pretty expensive software. Your best bet may be to find an integrator in your area to come out and modify the timer for you. It would be cheaper if this is a one time deal.

J

Jeremy Pollard

Hey Phil. The PLC-4 was programmed with a handheld tactile type programmer.
The only game in town.
I will look for some old doc's but wont hold out much hope.
Worth the trip to replace it for sure.

Cheers from:

Jeremy Pollard, CET
The Crazy Canuckian!
Integration, Automation, and Training

On The Web - http://www.tsuonline.com
PLCopen North America - [email protected] www.PLCopen.org

8 Vine Crescent, Barrie, Ontario L4N 2B3

E

Eddie Willers

Wow, Phil, a real live PLC-4 controller in the wild !

I've seen them only at A-B headquarters. Somebody told me the last customer was the US Navy, as they'd been used on some minesweepers and had a 20-year contract to supply parts.

Same story, though, the handheld programmer is the only way to adjust anything. Cheaper by far to have Rockwell GMS come do the work and
while they're at it, give you a quote to replace the system. A PLC-4 may run for another 20 years, but you don't want to be caught
flat-footed if it only runs through next week.

V

Vitor Finkel

T. Connolly wrote:

>Never heard of a PLC4.

I did.
You are probably too young for that.

Those were smaller size PLCs (footprint, I/O count, and max program size) as compared to older PLC 3s and vintage PLC 2s. They are not manufactured for at least about some 15 to 20 years, IMHO.

In those days there was not software to program PLCs. They used "Portable Programming Devices", (Industrial dedicated NOT smart devices, sturdy,
heavy, metal encased devices, monochrome low resolution CRT in B&W or Black & Green, programs had to be either loaded to PLC CPU or sent to a separate Program Recording unit, where they could be stored in magnetic tape) and possibly there was not an IBM PC compatible software to replace those. I think T-3 was the programming unit for PLC-2, and T-30 (Small Monochrome CRT, black and amber) was already an IBM XT (or AT) compatible intended for programming the PLC-5. I never worked or actually seen a PLC 4, thow. Maybe I still have some advertizing literature on them, paper only, god knows where.

Vitor

Vitor Finkel
P.O. Box 16061 22221.971 Rio de Janeiro Brazil

J

Juan De los Santos

Years ago I have to deal with a PLC 4. You need an special programming terminal T4 or something like that. It?s a very old hardware, Once I have the oportunity to meet Dr. Odo Struger (the father of the AB PLC)and he was surprised to know that this hardware still working (more than 10 years ago).

I?m going to check in my old stuffs to check if I?ve some material, all printed of course.

I?ll contact you with some info

Juan De los Santos
[email protected]

D

Daniel Rozok

Phillip:

AB did make a PLC-4 in the late 1970's. I've only seen one of these in operation and it was some time ago (mid 1980's). If my memory serves me
right, there was no PC software ever developed and there were only two (2) ways to program it. There was a handheld programming unit that allowed you to enter boolean logic, simular to the handheld units that came with the
SLC-100/150's, and something called the 'Industrial Terminal' that had a small 9" screen that allowed simple editing and minimal documentation capabilities. The Industrial Terminal has interchangeable keyboards that
have the instruction set of the processor that you are currently programming. There were keyboards avaliable for the PLC-2, PLC-3, and PLC-4. Good luck, even though the Industrial Terminal and PLC-2, PLC-3 keyboards are fairly easy to find, they are expensive. I doubt that you will find a PLC-4 keyboard, let alone one that works.

Daniel C. Rozok

B

Bob Peterson

PLC4=MAC (Modular automation controller).

As I recall, it could only be programmed via some kind of handheld programming unit. best bet is to scrap it and start over with something thats not obsolete.

Bob Peterson

M

Michael Griffin

This reply isn't going to be of direct help to you. However, if you forsee a continuing need to make changes to your PLC/4, you should consider replacing it. You should also think of the maintenance aspects - where would you get a replacement in a hurry if it failed? I've only ever seen two, and I would be very surprised to ever see another. I don't think AB sold a lot of them. I wouldn't recommend buying a programming terminal for it, even if you could somehow find one.
They are physically large, but the program won't be very big, and there isn't that much I/O. A modern low cost shoe box should be able to replace it.

--

Michael Griffin
London, Ont. Canada

L
Phillip---

Another rare PLC-4 sighting! These nearly extinct animals are still found from time to time in the wild, causing automationologists to wonder if they've found the missing link between the PLC-3 and PLC-5!

Not.

Unfortunately, one of the many reasons that the PLC-4 died out very quickly about seventeen years ago is that it DID NOT have a PC-based programming environment. Someone else already posted a useful lead for getting a programming terminal, if you want to go that way. It could work.

I recommend that you work with your local distributor and Rockwell office to get a short term and long term solution. While spare parts are still available, third party support is nonexistent and PLC-4 experts are hard to find after all this time. If you have a hardware failure, I expect it would be cheaper to buy a modern small PLC rather than buying a spare part.

Hope this helps!

Larry Lawver
Rexel / Central Florida

J

Jeremy Pollard

Ooppsssyy The MAC was the Industrial divisions attempt at a PLC and the PLC 4 was the COmputer groups attempt. Different animals. Same demise:)\

Cheers from:

Jeremy Pollard, CET
The Crazy Canuckian!
Integration, Automation, and Training

On The Web - http://www.tsuonline.com
PLCopen North America - [email protected] www.PLCopen.org

8 Vine Crescent, Barrie, Ontario L4N 2B3