Urgent -- VB 6.0 DLL & OCX related problem

S

Sandeep Shroff

Dear List Members,

I am new to VB programming. I have developed an application in VB 6.0 which is using the standard DLL & OCX. (e.g MSCOMM & MSFLEXGRID ) I am interested in deploying the same on Win NT , Win 2000 & Win 98 / ME operating system. To deploy this application I need to provide the Standard DLL & ocx files. I am interested in knowing --

1) Are this DLLs & OCXs different ( different version etc..) for different Operating Systems ?
2) Also, Do I need to compile & package my application on all this operating systems separately?
3) Do I need individually test out my application on all these platforms ?

An urgent reply to this will be highly appreciated as we have to deploy this at the client site at the earliest.

Thanking you in anticipation

Sandeep Shroff
[email protected]

The ocx and dll files is different for different OS. Thus, you have to complie your applications in different OS. By using VB package and
developement wizard, it'll automatically make a setup file for your applications, which will get all neccessary ocx and dll files.

have a nice try!

Regards,
Fong

Yes, I would. Quite often Visual Basic will inadvertently miss one or more components when creating your deployment (setup). This is quite
easy to overcome by installing your application on some test system [not a system that already has Visual Basic installed] and running the
application. When you run your application you will be informed if a component was missed. Record what is missing, go back to you
deployment utility, manually include the missing component(s), and try again

[email protected]

Hi, I will try to answer your questions.

1. No, it's not diffrent versions on dll & ocx files for diffrent op-system.
2. Yes you need. Because the dll and ocx files needs to be registrated in the register on every machine. (You can also this manually but
it's a litte more job, so I recommend you to make a 'Installation application')
3. Normally you don't need.

//UJ

Hello shroff,

A)
.ocx file has got your activex control inside it.
.dll file may have exported functions/resources/objects inside it...depends on the dll.

B)
usually a .dll/.ocx itself will handle the OS version based issues, so you need not code somthing like this [ if(win-nt) then do this. if(win98) then do that] etc.etc...

C)
Whenever you deploy an application, your installation program should take care that dependencies of your application executable are present on the user system. so your install program should install (copy and register) these dlls/ocx on the user m/c if they are not already there.

D)
YES, You should always do a test on all the systems that you intend to support.

regards,
Indiver

It should not be a problem provided you have not made OS specific API calls.
So the answers to 1 and 2 should be NO
I recommend that you do test under all OS's though.

A

Alex Pavloff

> 1) Are this DLLs & OCXs different ( different version etc..) for different Operating Systems ?

No, but there multiple versions of these floating around. You can use the VB Package and Deployment Wizard, or (and I recommend) get something like Installshield Express and deploy your app that way. It'll handle the nitty-gritty.

> 2) Also, Do I need to compile & package my application on all this operating systems separately?

No.

> 3) Do I need individually test out my application on all these platforms ?

This would be a good idea.

> An urgent reply to this will be highly appreciated as
> we have to deploy this at the client site at the earliest.

For more specific help on Microsoft product, post your questions to a Microsoft newsgroup.

Alex Pavloff
Software Engineer
Eason Technology

I am also deploying a VB6.0 application in the same OS's but also in windows 95. Does anybody have idea whether it will create any problem in Windows95. The application is totally developed in Windows NT and package is made in that.

While deploying the package in a Win2k client it is giving a message "Some of the files running in your machine are out of date. Click OK to update the files". Will there be any problem if i update those files?

Thanks & regards,
Kaushik Basu
Software Developer
email:[email protected]