Remote Access thru Firewalls

J

JoeM

We are installing Wonderware Intouch systems in utility facilities and require remote access. We were planning on using Intouch for Terminal Services but we are running into some network concerns. The clients are willing to give us access over the Internet (and their Intranet) through their firewall. The problem is they use a Unix proxy server and we do not think we can administer the CAL's. We are considering remote access software like PCAnywhere but fear the a similar problem. We are also considering Intouch licenses and apps on the remote computers (used for service and support) but I think we will be faced with the same problems with Suitelinks or NetDDE.

Does anyone have any suggestion or recommendations in working through the Internet and firewalls?

the proxy administrator can configure your machine in the intranet as it where over the proxi, I dont sure now but the proxis have some redirect options, and he can say that every thing that ask for a real ip Machine be redirected to your PC under the proxy.

R

Rainer Lehrig

This is done with ssh. Don't ask me how to do it under windows. Under Linux you simply say:

ssh -N -L 5050:remotehost:5051 -l username remotehost

In the example the local port 5050 is forwarded to port 5051 on the remote host. Of course you can do it with several ports in both directions. All communication will be tunneled through shh.

Please also have a look at:
http://pvbrowser.sourceforge.net

We very recently established remote connection to our customers system. We had their IT guy establish a VPN using Novell LAN VPN client on our machine. We are connecting to a Citrix server. Once we establish a VPN connection (tunnel) then we are able to directly access all nodes on our Enthernet/IP AB network. By accessing through the VPN, we are allowed clear access through the firewall and into their LAN. Hope this helps. P.S. This type of connection is very secure as well (versus establishing public IP addresses for a dedicated server, etc.).