Modbus Registered Trademark

D

Dan

Hi all,

I noticed that Modbus is a registered tradmark of 'Schneider Automation'. However most literature I am seeing from other companies does not actually note this.

I am assuming to be completely correct all 3rd party literature should referencing Modbus(R) protocol and need to give credit to Schneider Automation. Is this correct?

-- Dan

A

Automation Linse

Recently the trademark was assigned to the Modbus-IDA organization ( http://www.modbus-ida.org ), so SA is no longer in the picture.

You are partially correct about the need to mark usage; but in the old days it was not as simple as just referencing Gould or AEG or Modicon or SE or SA, etc. There was an actual licensing agreement to be signed to use the Modbus protocol and the trademark which had rather draconian disclosure clauses (i.e.: how many pieces of paper did you print the word Modbus on...) End result is a classic case of "the rules" being so extreme no one bothered to obey.

I am not aware of any new trademark rules Modbus-IDA may impose, contact them to ask.

- LynnL

this all happened in April of 2004 - Modbus is now a PAS (publicly available specification), no agreements are required, use at will and freely.

MJH

C

Curt Wuollet

If, after asking for it, I allowed this to go without due recognition and praise, I humbly apologize to those who made it possible.

Regards

cww

D

Dave Pederson

As of today (3/26/2012), 'Modbus' is registered to Schneider Automation Inc., according to the United States Patent and Trademark Office.

The Modbus Organization web page has one mention of trademark ownership of 'Modbus'. The only mention I could find on the whole web page was buried in a line in the Modbus Application Protocol Specification:

"MODBUS is a registered trademark of Schneider Automation Inc."

So if Modbus Organization owns the trademark 'Modbus', they have a funny way of showing it!