Electrical Design Software

D

dengs

Hi,

I'm wondering what kind of Electrical Design Software are your guys using. Cause we are using a mechanical software--MicroStation for the design. But it can't provide any electrical information. I'm just wondering is there any professional software for the electrical engineer to do the electrical design like schematic and wiring diagram? I know for electronics guys, OrCAD or Protel are the softwares they are using for circuit design and PCB drawing. Is there any software like OrCAD but more suitable for Electrical design?

Thanks!

I use Eplan, i think its the most common CAE software. And I heard others names like: ElectroCAD, Autocad Electrical

Alright mate,
in my experience the best electrical CAD package is WSCad, I learned to use it in only a couple of days and it has all the features I've ever needed. The standard libraries are extensive and cover all the proprietary kit you are likely to use, whilst you can also easily add or edit devices as they arrive on the market. I believe there is a "lite" version of WSCad available for around £400 ($580?) and a full version for which I don't know the cost. It originates from Germany but has multi-language features. I reckon a Google search would reveal your local supplier or the originator. Good luck!

B

Brian E Boothe

What Makes eplan better than Autocad electrical? In which is what our company uses. Does eplan have demo software?

J

Jeremy Pollard

Has anyone investigated Engineering base??? Am doing a review on it - comments appreciated

Cheers from: Jeremy Pollard, CET The Caring Canuckian!
www[.]tsuonline.com

Control Design www[.]controldesignmag.com
Manufacturing Automation www[.]automationmag.com

Hey, can ppl give their opinions on their electrical CAD software? My company is looking for a good package and i have been researching them and all are similar. Elecdes, Eplan, Wscad, Promis.e & autoCAD Electrical are the best so far.

C
Hiya,
I checked this out, sadly I couldn't get the trial software to work on my PC, it's not cheap either, considering you need to install about 300 euros of support software on a bare PC to get it working! The full version uses a dongle so more trouble there, I just don't need these problems in business

Colin

I'm from china, have the same question with u, eplan is sending TRIAL version in china now, it seemed it's the best one in europe; another is ENGINEER BASE, also come from germany, it do not have watermark, and working in VISIO, it has chinese help, i like it!

electrical based on AUTOCAD is not a good choice, u will find there is still many things u need to do...

In my opinion the best one is eplan.
it is standalone, you don't need a drawing package for it to sit on, this can be disadvantage when the cad package upgrades you then have to upgrade the electrical package.
Also Autocad are pulling support from all other packages from May 06 due to them having Autocad Electrical. Also EPLAN has a new product out later this month I am told that will be the new front runner in this market, i also think they are the longest standing in this market since about 1984. Others packages i used don't seem as easy to use, the ones on cad not that clever as they have to load each page so very slow. just my opinion.

Please feel free to back up the comment with some facts of what Autocad Electrical is lacking?

It's standardized globally, has great cross referencing (so you spend most of your time designing and not checking drawing sets manually for changes), it's easy to use if you have ever used Autocad, easy panel layout creation and tons more.

Also...eplan is toying with a crippled version of their product to try and sell to the masses. Good luck finding support for that in 5 years.

M

marc sinclair

Hi,

If it is 'standardised' why can't I open this years drawings on last years autocad? (Drawing file was created by an incompatible version)

Marc

C

Curt Wuollet

The big Mercedes Benz has a lot going for it too. Unfortunately I get to drive a Daimler Dodge.

Regards
cww

Maybe in the case of being Promis-e it is negative to be an Autocad add-on, but Autocad E will always be supported.
The new ePlan product just seems to be a jump to get some $$ from the mid-range customers. If it doesn't sell, do you think ePlan will support this venture, or stick with it's champ?

M

marc sinclair

Hi,
This is sheer speculation. The Autocad project is a moneymaking venture, (anyone who _has_ to use it will confirm this), when it ceases to make money, it will dissapear, unless, of course, the company goes the way of Worldcom,
Enron, Texaco etc. first.

Now, where's the support number I had for Visicalc?

Marc Sinclair