Today is...
Friday, May 26, 2017
Welcome to Control.com, the global online
community of automation professionals.
Featured Video...
Featured Video
Watch an animation of a conveyor stacking operation demonstrating the use of a move on a gear command.
Our Advertisers
Help keep our servers running...
Patronize our advertisers!
Visit our Post Archive
Level Gauge for 36% Hydrochloric Acid Storage Tank
Can anyone suggest what is the suitable level gauge for a HCl tank?
By Jay Roque on 8 July, 2006 - 9:19 pm

Hello to all.

Can anyone suggest what is the suitable level gauge)for a HCl tank?

A Flanged type direct mounted is currently installed and we plan to downgrade the system due to financial problems.

Thanks and hope to hear from you guys.

By Anonymous on 11 July, 2006 - 8:28 pm

Why don't you install a Normal DP transmitter with Purging system

It is certailnly cheaper then Flange type flush mounted LT as well it help to preserve the MOC of Transmitter diaphragm as it will not directly come in contact with Acid.

Purging dip pipe could be of FRP or HDPE or any material that is resistant to acid attack for mentioned concentration

By Dennis Patterson on 12 July, 2006 - 10:05 am

I was going to say- a flange type tri clover pressure transducer. but it sounds like you already have 1. The thing i dont get is, if you are down grading due to budget restrictions, then why do anything? its only going to cost time and money, (if it aint broke, dont fix it).

Dennis

By Anonymous on 14 July, 2006 - 3:34 pm

Thank you for the reply.

Actually, we have a currently installed a flash-mounted DP transmitter with a tantalum diaphragm material. As previously said, we have a minor budget restriction and my boss wants to have an alternate Level indication.

We are planning to use a simple glass tube level indicator but the problem is we can't seem to figure out what kind of material to use. You see, suppliers keep on telling us to use PCV and some said it won't be compatible. Could you advice us which material to use?

Thanks for the help.

More power.

I worked in a chemical plant the made Hydrochloric Acid and we never used PVC in that service. We used glass, tantalum, PTFE (Teflon) and Hastelloy B. Here is the level gauges that we used. There are many options to the (4) styles.

http://www.jogler.com/armored-level-gauge/

By Anonymous on 11 July, 2006 - 9:15 pm

Try radar or Ultrasonic to fit in the existing flange. They both should work great. Go with radar if there are any vapors above the liquid level.

Radar is good solution. but take care of probe material, it should be PVDF or equivalent . Another important factor is dielectric constant (DK)of HCL. it should be more than 1.6.

> Try radar or Ultrasonic to fit in the existing flange. They both
> should work great. Go with radar if there are any vapors above the