RSLinx Ethernet Connection

S

Steevo

I am using RSLogix 5000 V15.02 and have used RSLinx to configure tha driver. I have selected the correct ethernet driver, but when I select RSWho, which fails to connect to any of the PLCs on the network. I am using RSLinx Classic.

I can ping all the PLCs on the network but can't get RSLinx/RSLogix 5000 to talk to anything.
I am using a HP laptop and using the standard
network card ethernet connection. The laptop also has wireless but it is not used.

There are 2 ethernet drivers, one where you enter the IP addresses of the PLC and one which browses for PLCs connected to the network. I have tried both of these.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Steevo

Steevo,

For RSLogix 5000 you want to be using the Ethernet/IP driver (the one which browses for PLCs). Are there any managed switches in your network? The browsing feature of Ethernet/IP uses UDP/IP instead of TCP/IP.

Try connecting directly to one of the PLCs using a crossover cable directly to your laptop. This will eliminate any network issues that may exist.

Ron Davis

M

Mike McDermott

Try turning your wireless card OFF... Windows as well as RSLinx sometimes get very stupid with 2 network cards in the same laptop/computer. RSLinx may be trying to use the wireless to search for your IP addresses... Have seen this a lot.

Have you ever managed to fix this problem?

Every time I am scanning for a new plc I have to temporarily switch off wireless in order to establish communication to plc. Once you do that you can turn it back ON, however it is quite annoying not to be able to do it directly.

J

Jerry Miille

AFAIK, standard windows does not know how to handle multiple NIC's.

However, there may be a way to do this if you are running XP: Check out this link:

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-1054825.html

that identifies a key piece of software that you need the "Microsoft RIP Listener Service"

http://www.microsoft.com/windows200...WS2000/en/professional/help/rip_listening.htm

Your query sparked an interest because we have the same issue and I found the above links on a search. I have not attempted to install this software have no idea if these techniques will work but I will try them out as soon as I can because it is an issue for us at work as well and will report back here on the results.

Our current standard procedure for us is to disable the wireless when you want to connect with a wired connection and disable the wired when going to a wireless connection. In WIN XP that is a very easy thing to do using the control panel. Can't speak to that with Vista or anything else.

Jerry Miille