Communication of UDC3000 controller with Experion

S

Sachin

I have searched the manuals related to UDC3000 controller. But I could't get any idea about communication for same. Please can anybody help me to communicate the Experion SCADA with UDC3000 via RS485? Please let me know the communication cable PIN diagram for same.

On the UDC side:

There are various generations of what is known as the UDC 3000 series.

The earliest, UDC 3000 (blue bezel, 1988 ~1994) has only an ASCII protocol, for which you have to write your own driver. The DCMS or DMCS, whatever was Honeywell proprietary and has been officially obsolete for a decade.

2nd generation was UDC 3300, which had Modbus RTU (RS-485) in various implementations, had numerous firmware PROM updates for the Modbus firmware.

3rd generation is the current UDC 3200, with either Modbus RTU or Modbus TCP, depending on hardware card.

Even though the 3300 had 4 terminals for 4 wire, fuil duplex, recommendations were to use it in 2 wire, half duplex mode, with jumpers.

Honeywell's Modbus RTU manual, for the UDC's is document 51-52-25-66. If you go to
http://hpsweb.honeywell.com/Cultures/en-US/Products/Instrumentation/controllers/udc3200/default.htm
and search the 'marketing library' for that document, their search engine can find it.

I don't run a DCS, so I can not help you on the Experion side.

Bud

B

Bill Schwarz

The Knowledge Builder documentation that came with your Experion system contains the information that you are looking for. You typically need a RS-232 to RS-485 converter to connect the UDC link to the serial port of your server PC, or you need a Ethernet to Modbus bridge to connect via LAN.