Level Measurement in a power plant

S

SpaceMonkey

I am a fresher who just joined a company and I require some help to choose level measurement technologies used for some applications in a power plant. The 5 technologies that I have short listed are rf capacitance, dp lvl, ultrasonic, floats/displacers and conductivity type. But the problem is I don't know where in a power these can be applied, e.g. de-aerator, hotwell, forebay, drain pot, condensate storage, clarified water storage, fuel oil tanks, LDO tanks, HP heater levels and other measurements in a power plant. Since I have not been to a power plant I need help here to identify the specific application and why it is best. Please help.

R
The most versatile level transmitter is the DP transmitter, it can be used in all the situations you list. They can also be used for interface, density and of course differential pressure, e.g. across a filter. RF capacitance work but they tend to be more troublesome. They are good for underground tanks where you only have top access.
Ultrasonic is OK for open tanks without steam. Floats are usually for point level. Displacers are a good method but expensive. Conductivity are for point level and won't work with non conductive fluids such as oil and demineralized water.

Others not on your list - Radar, Magnetorestrictive.

Regards,
Roy

These depend upon no. of factors like whether you want local indication through a gauge or remote indication through transmitter. It also depends upon the size of the tanks, type of nozzles available in the tanks for measuring level and above all process requirement and budget available with you.

Normally I have seen float level gauges for clarified water tank, forebay level, LDO tanks. Rest all with hydrostatic gauging systems by using presure/Diff pressure transmitters.