Abb 800xa Communication problem

A

asd

Hello,
We work with Abb 800xA to control 3 turbogenerators and 3 boilers. Each turbogenerator has to controllers and each boiler has 2 controllers.

Today we met the following problem: for 3 seconds from 7 to 7 minutes the operator's stations lost all the signals! Also if you tried to open any operating diagram from other stations no signal was available to see, I mean all along.

After a download everyting got back to normal. Now do you have any explanation for this strange phenomenon?

Hi
I'd the same issue having two redundant AC800M controller switched (actualy not fully redundant) but I resolved the problem following these steps:

firstly I checked the node connectivity using classic 'ipconfig /all' command to see each nodes IP then I made a report in each node and comparing it with previous reports in Start menu: Start->ABB Industrial IT 800xA -> system->system checker -> Tools

To check the required Hardware and 3rd party software I used the 'system checker tool' in same menu and finally I recognized that one service had a problem accessing data with the backup controller (OPC data access ssrvice) using process portalA (double click in small icon in taskbar) there you will see all services state running in your system.

I hope this will help.

---------------
Fix the Problem, Not the Blame

So, I believe we have network communication problems, I think rj45 connectors. So the controller it is ok or first i should try to reset it?

A
We had the same problem, got quoted $NZ many thousands to have it fixed. System was also complicated with an unfriendly field bus system. Eventually phased it out to a Delta V. Wished we had tried the other fix first though, but we were in the hands of experts!

Before that however, operators made us hard wire every motor. They could hear the plant running but had no control over it.

M

Mohanad Babekir

Hi guys;

We running power plant with 800xA system, the plant consist of 6 engines, the problem 2 weeks ago we had total blackout and after restoring the plant to normal we observe some problems that start/stop order which are recorded before blackout is now not captures anymore in the DCS event list and there are many alarms are not reported to DCS and some units started but no event in DCS. I do appreciate if any body help me on that.

Hi,
i Have gone thr such a situation more than 10 times. but your problem is not clear to me.

u r problem might be with xa or on controller level.

if it is on xA might be problem with network as some other people told check out ur network connections or might be with services.

or if it is with controller level( i m referring this because u told downloaded to controller). have u noticed while downloading whether it says cold start any thing like that, if it says cold it is problem with ur hardware.

i have seen this problem so many times where my controller is having CI853 module.

just take care while downloading...
for more info contact me on bvpoornachandra [at] gmail.com

C

Chan Man Lung

Open 'Service connection viewer' (Green icon on the right corner of your taskbar) and make sure everything green or open Engineering Worplace then select 'Service structure' Open System status viewer aspect and make sure your
- Alarm Manager
- Basic history
- Eventcollector

Service providers are servicing.
chanmanlunga[at]gmail.com

Hello,
anyone

Can you help me in getting communication with third party interface with modbus communication module in 800xa (CI853). Basically a rj45 connector in module to a db9 connector at icp con rs232 to rs485 converter connector from there it is connected to bently 3500, chicago pneumatics compressors and others. I tried but i am unable to communicate. Can u help me in this regard.

> I tried but i am unable to communicate. Can u help me in this regard.

With that much information ? No.

Have you read the manual? have you configured the CI853? have you configured the port correctly? have you checked the port settings on both ends? have you tested the software, has it ever worked, have you tested the cable, have you tried a modbus simulator .... ?

Your post reads like you just installed a CI853, plugged in the cable and expected it to work. I'm sure that's not the case but a little more detailed info might help.

Rob

It never worked from erection and we are trying to connect it to dcs. We have checked everything,we have tried for a wiring pin configuration of (rj45 at CI853) to (db9 of icpcon) rs232 to rs485 converter from manuals. We got nothing from manual and from net. We are not sure that cable wiring given in net might work are not, that's why i am searching for real document of it. So if any one of your system is well established with this, please share to us.

If you want to test the connection from the RJ45 to the RS232 port just use the programming cable tnat came with your controller - its the same as the serial cable TK853. The cable pin out for TK853 is in the AC800M Controller Hardware manual (3BSE036351-510) page 391

Rob

Hai rob

I tried with what you have suggested. I observed rx1 blinking. But in fbd no sign of communication. Then we tried to communicate with abb suggested TK-212A cable made it my own on spare controller, unable to upgrade controller with that. In the manual they have given the pinouts, But its not working. So we are procuring the cable. I see lot of difference in Tk-212 and Tk-212A. What your opinion which one to use.

> I observed rx1 blinking.

What Rx light is blinking? The Rx Light on the CI853 should NOT be blinking if the Tx Light does not blink. The CI853 is a MASTER so there should be no activity in the serial link unless the master requests it. If the Rx Light on your RSS232/485 converter is flashing, then the controller is trying to establish communications but the slave is not responding.

> But in fbd no sign of communication.

Define "No Sign of Communication" - Is the Function Block enabled? Is the connection status "valid" ? Is there an error code? Have you searched for the error code in the online help ?

> Then we tried to communicate with abb suggested TK-212A cable made it my own on spare controller

What happened to the pre-made cable supplied with the controller ?

> unable to upgrade controller with that.

Why are you trying to "upgrade" a controller ?

> In the manual they have given the pinouts, But its not working.

The manual is most likely correct and it is more likely that either you made the cable wrong or possibly you have a broken port (less likely). That is why you should be using the pre-made programming cable supplied with the controller. You SHOULD have received one with the controller. Make sure you get it because it is ESSENTIAL for upgrades, maintenance and replacing the controller when it eventually fails at 3 am.

> So we are procuring the cable. I see lot of difference in Tk-212 and Tk-212A. What your opinion which one to use.

The right one for the job. Using the programming cable to test the Modbus serial comms is a temporary work around. The programming cable will work if you connect a PC with Hyperterm direct to the CI853. This lets you check the CI853 is sending something out. That's all. I wont guarantee that it will work with either your RS232/485 converter or any other modbus device because of the CTS/RTS handshaking. You need to read the manuals for that information.

You seem to be focusing on this cable as being the reason for the system not working - but there are many other possible reasons. Are you sure you have eliminated them all ?

Rob

Hai rob,

I thought of checking the slave first and later on the rest of them. So the slave is a atlas copco electrikon IV controller and i am trying fetching a modbus connection literature of the controller.but tried to connect with a modscan32 soft at lan port of the controller. but i tried to connect with a modscan32 soft at lan port of the controller.

It says "invalid response to query".