advertisement
from the Forum department...
Low cost modbus meters
Application Questions and Problems topic
Posted by Raj on 16 November, 2009 - 4:32 pm
Looking to make a low cost power data acquisition system. Wondering if there is a low cost modbus meter for under $100. Just need a basic one that can give the power/energy measurement via modbus. My goal is to create a complete system, meter+datalogger+gateway for <$200.

Any pointers would be great.

Thanks,
Raj.

Posted by scadametrics on 16 November, 2009 - 7:35 pm
Raj,

I was not able to tell whether you need 3-phase or single-phase and whether this is for your own personal use or to be offered for sale.

But there is a power metering device that already does all of what I understand you are looking for (Metering, Data Logging, Modbus, 100BaseT Gateway).

EIG Shark 200 and Shark 200T...

www.electroind.com/shark200.html

I don't know the cost, but I'm sure it's more than $200.

The Accuvim II might be another option...

www.powermeterstore.com/p5825/accuenergy_acuvim_ii_power_meter.php? p_tab=description

Posted by Raj on 22 November, 2009 - 10:13 am
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. But the Shark and Accuvim are all very very expensive. I have used the Shark100 and some other intelligent meters. All are over $300.

I think there is a need in the market for a very low cost non-utility grade meter. Meaning even if its around 5% accurate its ok. As long as it provides some type of data interface for its contents to be read/written to. Modbus TCP support would be the best.

My design objectives are to bring the cost down to below $200. Is it possible today?

Posted by Modbus Reading RealTime via Php on 13 January, 2010 - 6:06 pm
Hi Raj,

I'm glad that u try to do that same thing for an Eco building I'm consulting for a client, so I'm trying to do like your issue. I've used the following: a device smiler to Accuvim, but noname (from China). also I've attached to it a Modbus. I can read the device with their software remotely, but I want to post that online via my own PHP server. then I got download a PHP code module called (Phpmodbus), but I couldn't run it successfully. do u have any success in your project? may be we can exchange ideas?

Posted by William on 21 February, 2010 - 9:07 am
We do offer such very low cost modbus meter, please feel free to contact us: http://www.stitcs.com

Posted by Lowcostsystem on 17 February, 2012 - 2:45 am
You can try with a low-cost Modbus TCP counter device from http://lowcostio.com with any low-cost digital meter with pulse output.

Posted by Julie in Austin on 18 February, 2012 - 2:16 pm
It's easier, and potentially more accurate if you don't care about Real versus Apparent power.

Continental Control Systems has 0 to 0.333VAC touch-safe CTs. Offset that output by 2.5VDC, then amplify to 0 to 5VDC. Now you've got a signal that has plenty of range and can be read directly by any of the small uMCes on the market. Pick a sampling interval that's plenty fast and produce the RMS current. Hard-code the AC line voltage, ignore real versus apparent power, and the as-manufactured cost is under US$100.

Walk in the park.

Your use of this site is subject to the terms and conditions set forth under Legal Notices and the Privacy Policy. Please read those terms and conditions carefully. Subject to the rights expressly reserved to others under Legal Notices, the content of this site and the compilation thereof is © 1999-2014 Nerds in Control, LLC. All rights reserved.

Users of this site are benefiting from open source technologies, including PHP, MySQL and Apache. Be happy.

Fortune
Comparing information and knowledge is like asking whether the fatness
of a pig is more or less green than the designated hitter rule."
-- David Guaspari
Advertise here
Advertisement
our advertisers
Help keep our servers running...
Patronize our advertisers!
Visit our Post Archive