Rated speed and Maximum speed in servo motors

E

Edwin Denson

Hi all I am Edwin and new to automation industry.

Well, can any one explain me what is the difference between Rated speed and Maximum speed in servo motors? I have recently seen one servo motor name plate and the rated speed of the motor is 2400 rpm and max is 7000 rpm..What it means actually ?!!

W

William Sturm

The motor makes it's rated torque up to it's rated speed. Above the rated speed, the torque typically drops off in a linear fashion. The maximum speed is the speed that you can run without damaging the bearings.

Bill Sturm

Hi,
Typically the rated speed is the maximum speed at which the rated torque can be produced continuously.

But, while some specifications have commonly accepted definitions, the definitions of motor specifications do change from manufacturer to manufacturer. It is best to contact the motor manufacturer and speak with someone who is knowledgeable of how their specifications are defined. A few minutes by phone can help you move forward in an informed manner without making potentially dangerous assumptions about your motor's specifications.

Rated speed is defined with rated or nominal voltage (12, 24, 36, etc) as a rule. Max speed is max allowed speed from mechanical limitation (bearing, coil,etc).