Upgrade to Siemens S7

J

Jun Calachan

what is the simplest way to migrate/upgrade from Siemens s5 to s7. Is it possible to convert s5 DOS base program to s7 windows base program?

thanks and more power!

C

curt wuollet

Hi Bob

I agree...Well, anything else. It's hard to imagine _anything_ that wouldn't be an upgrade to S5, my candidate for the least intuitive programming tool ever made. And that includes such things as VI, emacs, Edlin and several rather horrible machine code and macro editors that no one ever used by choice.

Regards
cww

You could use the S5-S7 converting files but as mention that is not a very good solution, but it helps you on the way. you probably have to rewrite much of the software. I have tried it a couple of times but I have started to rewrite the software from scratch, then I get a much more satisfying software.

The simplest way to migrate/upgrade from Siemens S5 to S7 is by use of an utility S5 to S7 converter in the S7 Suite, but it has got several limitations and the conversion is not perfect and many times it ends in writing a new program after several rounds of debugging the converted S5 program. So try your luck :)

W

Wiwi Hartono

The issue is that some of the S5's instructions are no longer use in S7. And, the FB in S5 is actually FC in S7 and they have different sets of IO defined for example Timer FB in S5.

But if the instruction used are common in S5 and S7, converting would be a breeze.