CIMPLICITY units system

B

baskar

Dear helpers

Can anyone please describe to me how to convert units in a GE HMI (for example from °F to °c), because our operator are not familiar with American system and are familiar more with European system.

Does this manipulation need access to TOOLBOX or CIMPLICIY soft? if yes please help me to do it.

Details: GE gas turbine with MARK 6E TMR controller

1)open Cimplicity workbench
2)stop the running project
3)select project properties from toolbar/menu
4)select settings tab
5)highlight measurments units
6)select settings
7)choose metric or US units
8)restart the project

Just a warning here:
This ONLY changes the HMI displays. It does not change the units within the Mark VIe controller. Thus, if you are looking at the blocks in Toolbox ST, the units are still English units. The historian, if you have one, also will still be in English units.

P

Process Value

>Thank you for your reply 309Eguy.

309 Guy has explained it quite correctly, but i think there is a small addition to the last point. I think just restarting the cimplicity will not help you, you need to "update configuration" for the settings to take effect. at leaset you have to do that if you are changing the individual points. If 309 Guy's steps work you its great :). if run into any problem, Please read about the topic "Measurement Units" in the cimplicty Help to understand how to convert the engineering units from one to another. I cannot possibly type all the information, and to be frank the cimplicity help will do a better job as it has fancy graphics which shows the screenshots of how it is to be done.

Hi!

Otised! So what to do to convert unities in all (Toolbox, historian and all)

Process Value, I don't want to change individual point, I want to change all the units, and I'm waiting for the password from my boss to begin the conversion

Thanks to all.

Do not try to change the units in Toolbox! While it is theoretically possible to change them, there are too many opportunities to overlook something or do it incorrectly. Nearly all of the control constants would have to change. And you would need to be really careful with constants involving temperature - for differential temperatures there is no 32 degF offset! And then, when you are done you will have a machine with no warranty and which no GE rep will work on.

That means that for the historian, the values will be recorded in English units for the turbines. However, I believe you can have the reports and graphs done in metric units, but I don't know exactly how it is done. I believe you get the OSI Process Book with the Mark VI historian which gives you lots of options. I have no direct experience with it, so you'll have to read instruction manuals or talk to someone who has done this.

Well,

this is a sad thread. If someone allowed the packager/supplier of the Mark VIe to leave site without converting the CIMPLICITY displays to metric units, well, then shame on the management at the site. That is not a difficult task, and if the normal unit of measure for the locale/region is metric then someone should have insisted on the CIMPLICITY displays at a minimum displaying operating data in metric units.

I would also have to believe that some of the operators, at a minimum, and some of the technicians who will be responsible for maintaining and troubleshooting the unit (including the Mark VIe and CIMPLICITY) attended some kind of training and were instructed as to how to change the CIMPLICITY displays between English and metric units, and what the capabilities of the Mark VIe were in this regard.

The originator said the turbine control system is a Mark VIe, meaning that it uses ToolboxST (not Toolbox, or Legacy Toolbox as it's sometimes called, which was the configuration/troubleshooting application for the Mark VI). Unfortunately, I believe that ToolboxST still suffers from the same affliction of not being able to easily switch from English to metric units as the Mark V and the Mark VI. (It should be noted that the Mark IV had the ability to switch easily all of it's data displays between English and metric units. Sad how sometimes GE takes leaps forward and steps backward.)

As for the Historian, it, too, should have been configured to display the data in metric units if it is based on OSIsoft's PI product. I believe that's a relatively easy task, much like configuring CIMPLICITY to do so.

While Toolbox and ToolboxST can be configured to display the data in metric units, each and every point which has metric engineering units must be configured individually, meaning it's quite a task to do this. Herculean, actually. Not recommended for the average technician which has many other responsibilities in a plant besides maintaining and troubleshooting the Mark VIe (though sometimes that can be a full-time job in some situations!).

Well,

I have access only to another computer witch has not the problem, but has possibility to access the others (and to the PC witch has the problem of unities).

Is this operation need to work at same PC where we have the problem or the access from the other PC is enough?

Actually we only need that operators can read unities in metric (not historian, and toolbox...) so is it possible to do the work from CIMPLICITY ? and what to do after I convert (log off.....)

Thanks again for your support

-"309Eguy" and "CSA", I followed the procedure but with the addition added by "Process Value" (update configuration) to take effect.

So this topic is resolved.

Thanks to all