Erasing MARK VIe/Ve Controller Media

We're performing an upgrade of our Mark VIe controllers, and as part of our NERC CIP requirements we have to clear out the controller media before the controllers can leave the site.

The requirement states that I need to "destroy or erase the data storage media to prevent unauthorized retrieval of sensitive cyber security or reliability data".

My plan is to remove the Flash card from each controller, place into a Flash reader, and reformat the entire card as a different file system (FAT32). Then, I intend to write a large file (basically random numbers) to the card to completely fill it up. After this, I'll delete the file, remove the card, and most likely toss it in the trash. I've heard some horror stories about re-using Flash cards, so it's unlikely that I will re-purpose them, unless it's in a test lab of some sort.

My question is this: Are there any other places on the GE controller that I need to be concerned with sensitive data hiding besides the Flash card?

P.S. I may also take out some frustration on the cards with a hammer. Haven't decided yet.

Mike Toecker

I believe if you look at the spec's in the System Guide for the various Mark VIe controllers (UCCx and UCSx) you will see they have CompactFlash memory as well as some internal memory (DRAM, which is probably volatile), and Flash-backed SRAM. It's this last type that has me wondering....

For the CompactFlash, personally I would prefer the Six Sigma method--beat the CompactFlash with a hammer. (Least chance of defects.)

This would be an excellent question for GE, via their new 'Controls Connect' website.

The URL is:

http://site.ge-energy.com/online_tools/controls_connect.htm

(As always, remove any spaces inserted by the site software.)

If you can't find the information you're looking for on the site, they have FREE email/phone support.

Please write back to let us know what you learn! (If it's not proprietary, or against NERC/CIP regulations.)

Thanks CSA!

I've confirmed with another contact of mine that wiping the flash will fully remove all the application information, logic, IP Addresses, etc. He recommended your approach CSA, completely destroy the card just to be safe.

I'll try the GEConnect website as well, but so far I'm having no luck getting my usual account assigned to the GEConnect stuff.

After doing my own investigation through the manuals and in the controller itself, I'm comfortable clearing the card and calling it a day.

Mike

J
CSA,

If you are having any problems getting access to GE Controls Connect please send me an email at [email protected]. This site is primarily for turbine operators but I manage access to this site for control users and we allow special access when it is appropriate. I can get your access approved in 3 days.

John
I am the Product Line Leader for Services at GE Measurement and Controls. As noted below, the Controls Connect portal has significant functionality at no cost.

GENERAL CONTROLS CONNECT NOTE: If you have a GE SSO# and are a GE turbine operator, business associate or EPC firm, please send me an email with the subject "Controls Connect Access" and include your SSO#, Name and Company. Your registration will take approximately 3 days. If you do not have a GE SSO# you can register at http://site.ge-energy.com/online_tools/controls_connect.htm. Just click on the register button to start the process. Registration forms should less than 5 minutes to complete. If you have any questions feel free to contact me at [email protected]

In Controls Connect you can search the knowledge database for similar issues, find manuals, TILS, white papers, etc or phone/email the technical support team directly. This is a FREE service. I hope this helps.

J
Mike,

If you have any difficulty with getting access to controls connect please feel free to contact me. I have listed some instructions below and also outlined the key features.

John

John Emery,

Thanks very much for the offer!

I believe that "Feedback is the most important contribution!"(c) here at control.com. It would be beneficial for other users of this forum to know what users of Controls Connect think of the information available there, and of the help received from the service. I know there is good information available there and I'm curious to know others think of it and of the quality of the help with their problems, such as conciseness of responses, depth of knowledge of responders, and follow-through.

In theory, this is a great leap for GE. I'm just interested in how it's beIng received and think others would be interested as well.

Thanks for making this available to operators and owners of GE Speedtronic equipment!