Power Grid

A

Adeel

I am here just to get some information about power grid frequency. that if the power grid frequency is decreasing so what it means and if power grid frequency is increasing so what it means. If power grid frequency is increasing or decreasing so what will be the effect on gas turbine generator or steam turbine generator. Thanks

[email protected]

> if the power grid frequency is decreasing so what it means?
load is more than generation

> if power grid frequency is increasing so what it means?
generation is greater than load

> If power grid frequency is increasing or increasing so what will be
> the effect on gas turbine generator or steam turbine generator?
their rpm will equal the frequency?

>> If power grid frequency is increasing or increasing so what will be
>> the effect on gas turbine generator or steam turbine generator?

>their rpm will equal the frequency?

Their governors should respond according to their droop settings to increase output if frequency is decreasing or decrease output if frequency is increasing. More straightforward for steam (or hydro) turbines as the generator and (all) turbine(s) are connected by a single shaft. Gas turbines (not my area) are, I understand, more complicated as there is no rigid coupling between the turbine driving the generator and the turbine driving the compressor.

> If power grid frequency is increasing or increasing so what will be the .... steam turbine generator?

depends on the turbine design. the majority of utility turbines designed with long last stage buckets (blades). the design is such that operating speed in between the resonances. on some designs just a fraction of a hertz can put the bucket into a condition resulting in fatigue and thus breakage with as little as a couple hours operation