Canopen Protocol issue

E

Eng.msamiryusuf

I have many questions to Ask:

1st Question is

is Canopen Protocol like RS-485 Protocol?

2nd Question is

how can i Read Modbus registers USING Modbus RTU by Canopen Signals

3rd Question

is anyone have Experience With ATV61/ATV71 HMI of Schneider VFD and how i can Communicate using RS-485 Protocol or Canopen Protocol

4th Question

if ATV61/ATV71 HMI of Schneider VFD using Cano Open Protocol as The only Communication Protocol used, How i Can Read Registers it by RS-485? i Must have a Canopen to RS-485 Converter?

Regards

L

Lynn August Linse

I would also add that given CANBus moves payload of 6 to 8 bytes only (depending on higher-level protocol overhead), and given Modbus/RTU doesn't like time-gaps larger than a few milliseconds between bytes, that you could have some serious timing problems without very speciallized 'converter' hardware.

You are probably talking about a $300 converter (if not $500 to $750).

ATV71 has a RJ45 port to communicate with Modbus. The CANopen protocol can be accessed from this Modbus network port via the daisy chain tap or the CANopen adaptor (VW3CANA71).

H

Heinz-Jürgen Oertel

Hi,

I can not answer all questions but one.

CANopen can by no means be compared with RS-485.
While RS-485 is not a 'protocol' but a physical and a bit of a data link layer. CANopen is a higher layer protocol - in words of OSI - an application layer protocol. It is based on CAN as data link layer.

Regards
Heinz-Jürgen Oertel

M
Yes you are Right, sorry for This misunderstanding. i mean Modbus RTU using RS-485 as a Data-link Layer. Thanks Guys for Helping me. i Found our That The Altivar can is support Canopen and Modbus RTU RS-485 and its helpful for me to communicate with Schenider VSD. Appreciate it and thanks for everybody for helping me again.