PC Based Data log system for Weighing Controller

S

sandip patil

I have 8 weighing controller that have Serial RS-485 communication with ASCII Protocol. I want to develop PC Based Data log system with our Weigh controllers to control, access and store all process data into PC. How can this possible? using gateway or simply using converter or by other way?

P

Patrick Lansdorf

Hi there,

There are numerous ways of solving it. here is one:

Use a serial server with each weighing controller, such as Anybus serial server, see link below:

Each serial server will get a com.port number and thus you will have to write a software that will handle your data...

Patrick L
@ HMS

R

Randy T. Jakosalem

Hi....

There are lots of ways to accomplish your needs. One of which is using RS 485 PCI card plugged in to a PC then using either Visual Basic or Visual C or other programming language for windows. The ASCII keywords or dll software driver should also be supplied by your hardware. Or if the data on your controller is a continues stream you only need to pickup the data and decode its data format. But you should be familiar in these programming language I've mentioned above. Using a database or SQL programming.

Another way is using gateways like "Advantec" or Other hardware of the same function. They have their own format of how to access the RS 485 comm.

Another way is to use PLC or DCS system with RS 485 communication processor module then program it according to the software tools provided by the PLC or DCS.

All of the above requires you to be familiar with automation systems design otherwise you'll have a hard time doing your tasks. But don't lose hope just take one step at a time then you'll get there somehow.

regards,
Randy