Igniter Circuit

C

cris

For my burner system I want to add an Igniter and want to get an alarm if Igniter is not working. I am not looking feed back from process (actual effect of ignition & temperature) and instead looking for electrical circuit only. Is it possible to get an alarm when my Igniter is not working?

Yes possible,

Could you explain in detail about the control system is being used or where do you want to keep this alarm unit?

take care
G.Rajesh

I do not know the importance of control system in this case as I am looking for some type of feedback from igniter if it is not functioning. However Ovation control system for one GT and TXP for other GT.

Thanks all

There are many current-sensing relays which will operate contacts based on how much current is flowing in a circuit (or the lack of current, as the case may be). You would need to find a relay that has a suitable range of operation for the amount of current flowing in your igniter circuit as well as the effects of any inductive kick from the circuit. (I presume we're talking about the primary side of an ignition transformer, where either 110 or 220 VAC is flowing. I also presume there are current-sensing relays which might be able to work with higher AC voltages, but probably not with voltages much above 600 VAC without a current transformer.)

You could use a normally open pair of contacts which would close when sufficient current was flowing to energize the igniters, and would open when the current dropped below a certain level. You could use this is a circuit with some permissive from the igniter "starter" circuit to say that there IS current flowing when it SHOULD be flowing, and to generate and alarm when there was insufficient current flowing where there should be current flowing.

Seems to be the simplest solution, not dependent on the type of control system, and presuming the igniter circuit has sufficiently low voltage/current flow to be operated by an off-the-shelf relay.

Hope this helps!

Yes you are right it will help big time...

Thanks a lot :)

Was lacking something and you made it by giving me clue. Once again thanks a lot.

Thanks for the feedback!

However, simply sensing the input current to the igniter transformer isn't going to ensure the output of the transformer is working, or that the igniter is actually firing. And, I don't know of any current-sensing relays that will sense current at the high igniter transformer output voltage.

GE-design heavy duty gas turbine employ two ignitors ("spark plugs") for redundancy. Only one spark plug is required to establish flame, but two are provided so that in the event one does not spark sufficiently for some reason it is hoped the second will provide the necessary spark.

And, most GE-design heavy duty gas turbines employ a single ignitor transformer with two high-voltage outputs.

Spark plugs require periodic maintenance. They have internal ceramic components that can be broken over time (especially by maintenance personnel during maintenance outages) and the metal electrodes will wear over time, decreasing the spark intensity. Rebuild kits are available for them.

So, before you go spending money and time for a current-sensing relay on the input power and configuring an alarm circuit only to find out the spark plugs are worn out and not working well, ensure the spark plugs are in good condition and properly maintained.

Best of luck. Let us know how you decide to proceed and what the results are.