Mark4 software upload

S

simon

Dear All,

I've to upload an old software from a Mark4 system to revamp the entire control system with a MarkVIe and this is my first time that I see a Mark4.

is there anyone that can say me how to get an upload (logic print-out is enough) from the running mark4 system?

I'll appreciate any help!

thanks
Simon

simon, or, Simon,

I'm told GE is performing quite a lot of Mark IV turbine retrofits, and as such I would imagine they have some instructions for obtaining the Mark IV software files. They might not be up-to-date and specific to your task (as most GE instructions), but you should be able to get the information you seek from GE, either the Requisition Engineer (I think that's what they're called) assigned to the job, or by working with your supervisor to get the information you need to complete your assignment.

Failing that, all of the information you seek is in the Mark IV Maintenance Manual, GEK-83886 or GEK-83883 (I think the former is for the newer Mark IV+ units and the latter the early Mark IV units). There is a section about using the TIM (Terminal Interface Monitor) feature by accessing it with a "dumb terminal" (remember: this was written before the days of portable PCs) via a serial communication cable.

You will need to have a serial port on the PC you will be using. You can use MS-Windows HyperTerminal as the software to communicate with and download files with (you will need to do some research in the HyperTerminal Help files to learn how to "capture" files to your hard drive once you get connected to the Mark IV and establish communications).

You will also need a null modem serial cable (use your preferred Internet search engine to look up the information). The Mark IV end of the cable will need to be a 25-pin connector, and I can't recall if it needs to be a male or female DB-25. The PC end of the cable needs to be whatever your "dumb terminal" (PC) has (usually DB-9) and of the appropriate gender.

The key is to short pins 4, 5 % 6 together at the 25-pin end (I believe this is documented somewhere in GEK-83886). It's been MANY years, but I think for a 9-pin to 25-pin cable, you will need to connect pin 2 of the 9-pin end to pin 2 of the 25-pin end, pin 3 of the 9-pin end to pin 3 of the 25-pin end, and pin 5 of the 9-pin end (GND) to pin 7 of the 25-pin end (GND).

You will need to configure HyperTerminal with the proper values, then connect your cable at both ends, and follow the process in the Mark IV Maintenance Manual to get the files.

You can also use this same cable, connected to the 25-pin serial printer output port of the Mark IV to get "screen captures". From the various screens on the Mark IV display, you can press the 'Print' softswitch and with the cable connected to the parallel port of the Mark IV the ASCII text will be sent to your PC. You can use the same "capture" method to record Control Constants and Timers and Counters, etc.

I believe the Baud rate for the printer is 300, but, again, it's been a very long time. Try a couple of other baud rates if 300 doesn't work.

But, I would still be VERY surprised if GE didn't have instructions for this somewhere.

Lastly, if your PC doesn't have a serial port, you can use a USB-serial adapter. But I caution you: Don't buy an inexpensive adapter! You will spend hours and hours trying to make it work, and it may never work, and I've personally had viruses infect my hard drive from the CD provided with the inexpensive adapters. Spend the money and get a name-brand adapter (Belkin is very good) and you will save yourself lots of frustration and time.

Hope this helps!