How to get data from GE power meter EPM5500P via Modbus RTU?

T

Tien

Hi,

my new project need to get data from GE power meter EPM5500P, which support Modbus RTU protocol. Our PLC is Schneider Quantum PLC (CPU-651, or CPU-434), and connect with SCADA WinCC via Modbus TCP/IP.

- I have try to connect EPM5500P and Quantum PLC by using some Modbus function block in library and Modbus plus port on PLC (I use Unity Pro for programing), but not success. Anyone have experience about this can help me? I'm don't have many experience about Modbus.

- I also have a GE Multinet module which is converter Modbus RTU to Modbus TCP/IP. Can I connect Power meter to this converter, then connect to WinCC, so I can read data from power meter? Or other solution (via OPC,...)?

Hi

Why dont you do the following it might be easier and cheaper, Meter (Modbus RTU to Modbus TCP/IP gateway) Network (Modbus TCP/IP to Modbus RTU gateway) PLC

Thanks,

Richard
FieldServer Technologies

Yes, I have used Unity pro and Quantum PLC. I have follow example about Modbus RTU communication in help file (use MODBUSP_ADDR and READ_REG). I have tried these function block, but have no feedback. Can you help me with more detail? This is the first time I use Modbus.

W

Wassim Daoud

> - I also have a GE Multinet module which is converter Modbus RTU to Modbus
> TCP/IP. Can I connect Power meter to this converter, then connect to WinCC,
> so I can read data from power meter? Or other solution (via OPC,...)?

OPC Can help here ... all you need is to configure the Modbus device in the OPC Server for Modbus and you will be able to get them into WinCC.

Try this OPC Server for Modbus ... it's quick and easy to use.
http://www.matrikonopc.com/opc-drivers/opc-modbus/base-driver-details.aspx

Hopefully this was helpful!

Cheers,
Wassim

Yes, I have tried with OPC server but not success. I have tried connect computer to Power meter EPM5500 buy modbus RTU but still unsuccessful.

Anybody can help me?

Modbus Plus is a licensed protocol. Modbus RTU is an open protocol. I've never touched Modbus Plus, so I'm not clear on exactly what is needed to bridge Modbus Plus to Modbus RTU but when vendors like Anybus make a Modbus Plus-to-Modbus RTU gateway converter

http://www.anybus.com/support/support.asp?PID=106&ProductType=A nybus%20Communicator (take out any spaces in the URL)

then I conclude that there are compatibility problems between Modbus Plus and Modbus RTU.

Do you really need data in the PLC? Really, really?

If not, use a serial-to-ethernet Modbus server box (dozens of vendors) to put the GE power meter on ethernet.

Then WinCC (master) uses Modbus TCP to connect to a serial server which converts to Modbus RTU which then connects to the GE power monitor (slave).