Effluent Gasket Damage problem

M

mis

I work in a combine cycle power plant operating on Natural gas and as well as Furnace oil. we are facing the problem on Furnace oil treatment plant (centrifuge/separator) effluent gasket damage again and again. The material of gasket same as used in other separator. but only in one separator we are facing problem. any one can help me to solve this problem, I will appreciate for this.

B

bob peterson

Have you considered consulting with the manufacturer of the equipment? If so, what have they suggested be done that has been tried but not worked?

What other things have already been tried?

What is the nature of the damage?

--
Bob

we consult with Manufacture, but no reply. we try our selves some thing like, lapping of top disc face and cover plate, change o-ring, tightening Allen bolts, replace although inter change top disc with another separator, but result not change enough. the effluent gasket damage is within circular cut and oil is coming within effluent water, pls. hear your personal experience. thanks

Have you considered the dimensions of the o-ring "cut" on the separator experiencing the problems is not the same as the others not experiencing the problems?

Have you tried using an 0-ring of a slightly larger diameter?

Are you making the o-rings using a roll of o-ring material and a diagonal cutter and some glue? Is the glue "compatible" with the effluent/oil mixture?

Is it possible to determine if the "leak" is always occurring at the same place?

> Have you considered the dimensions of the o-ring "cut" on the separator
> experiencing the problems is not the same as the others not experiencing the problems?

The o-ring "cut" (groove was the word I couldn't remember earlier) might not be the same depth around the circumference of the separator opening. If the o-ring was failing in the same place each time, this could be one reason.

I've always understood the way o-rings work is to actually use the pressure of the medium (gas or fluid) to "push" the o-ring causing it to fill the gap and provide a seal. The o-ring gets "deformed" when under pressure and that helps to form the best seal.

Could it be possible that there is some kind of pressure imbalance since you are talking about mixing of two fluids? Perhaps the pressure that should be higher is not, or the pressure that should be lower is not.

It's really difficult for us to comment since we can't see the separator or a drawing or photo of it.

Please write back to let us know how this is resolved.