New Zealand: Control through the ages

J

Jaidan Bracken

Hi,

I'm from New Zealand and love all areas of automation and control. I've been working on some automation projects in my office/shed and have found this entire field very interesting.

Lately I have been thinking that my collection will eventually belong in a museum or will end up being the perfect setup for people trying to learn/wanting to have a play with Automation, Control and SCADA.

Places like Trademe and E-bay have many good items which would work great with what I have so far but, it all costs so much money. I am wondering if there are automation/instrumentation/process control Engineers/team leaders who have any projects coming up where some equipment will be made redundant. Are these people interested in donating some of that equipment to a place that will end up providing a learning/tinkering solution for curious people, instead of sending it to the scrap man? I have this idea that the old technology is going to be lost and I kind of want to help save that too.

I'm not really sure how to go about finding these people/this equipment. If you have any ideas or know anyone that might I would be keen to know.

I am based in NZ and am willing to pay for the postage of whichever items and in some cases may be able to pay for the equipment, however this will be on a case by case basis.

The kind of things I am after are along the lines of:
Old pneumatics (controllers, relays, transmitters)
Digital controllers
PLC's
DCS/SSDS (tough one I know)
Software for HMI or SCADA
Tubing/fittings?
Drives
Control Valves
Gauges
Calibration equipment

Goal:
Have an automated process running eg distillation and condensing of water.

Have scada interface with iPad/windows HMI/OS X HMI/Linux and as many others as I can find.

Have real old stuff (pneumatic relays and tx's and controllers)
Have medium aged stuff (TIC's (RS-485) and PLC's from 80's ish)
and new stuff (DCS [hard one I know]) all working in harmony.
Have some kind of process so that a beginner can learn from it AND a very advanced person can too.

Eventually something people can play with and it doesn't matter if the break or trip it.
Make use of google's process historian - Nimbits
In the future lead to Network security as this appears to be very important in modern systems.

Any queries/ideas I am more than happy to hear/reply to them. Either post here or flick me an email.

[email protected]

Cheers
Jaidan