Cannot transfer file using Mark V gateway

S

Simon O. Martey

I was trying to do file transfer from one Mark V gateway computer through fastlink. It is unable to copy this file:
idp\config\unit1\eprom.

The GEDS Standard Message (GSM) gateway enables the distributed control system (DCS) to communicate with the Mark V turbine controls. I had a hard disk on a mark v gateway computer on our gas turbine arcnet network which got corrupted. I installed a dos 6.22 floppy diskets 1, 2 and 3 on a new hard disk. I was then trying to do file transfer from one Mark V gateway computer through fastlink to the new computer, that is from a host computer to a remote computer. The host computer sends the file directory idp\config\unit1\eprom to the remote computer but the remote computer is unable to copy idp\config\unit1\eprom directory. The process then stalls. When I restart the remote computer, it is not able to boot. It tells you "starting MS-DOS" and noting happens indefinitely.

What must i do to copy this file into the remote computer since I do not have the software to restore the gateway?

E-Mail: [email protected]; [email protected]

I have tried searching the Internet using my preferred Internet search engine to learn something about "fastlink". I can't find anything related to a file transfer program/application called fastlink, so I can't say what that problem might be. I'm presuming fastlink is some kind of Ethernet-based file transfer utility, but that's a guess on my part. You'll have to provide more information if you deem it necessary to the discussion after you read on.

It's also not clear if it's just this one directory that's not capable of being transferred or if this is just the first one you've tried transferring.

I also don't believe the problem lies in any Mark V operator interface software. It seems you have installed a new hard drive in the <G> (Mark V Gateway running a command-line OS, probably some version of IDOS). When booting, a Mark V operator interface, or a <G>, starts as a MS-DOS machine, then during boot-up AUTOEXEC.BAT runs a batch file called RUN_xDP.BAT, where "x" stands for I for IDOS (which runs on an <I>) or G for GDOS (which runs on a <G>). During the boot-up, IDOS or GDOS, which is GE's proprietary multi-tasking OS, schedules MS-DOS as a task while it loads all the other tasks necessary for the PC to communicate with Mark V panel(s) (such as the ARCnet driver, and, I believe for <G>, an Ethernet driver--which is generally how GSM communicates, via Ethernet (TCP/IP)).

I don't know if I will be of much help, but I will try. You may need to alter some of the steps if you try them and they don't exactly work. But, the first thing I would do is <B>MAKE BACK-UPS OF THE RUNNING <G>!!!!</b>

So, if I understand your dilemma, you have installed MD-DOS, and then tried re-booting the PC. I think you are going to have to make sure that the PC actually goes to a command prompt, and you can search the C: drive and see files on the hard drive. That means that the installation of MS-DOS has to be bootable from the hard drive, and that the PC's BIOS boots from the hard drive.

To make some file transfer utility work, especially one which requires Ethernet, you're going to have to get the Ethernet drivers loaded into the new <G>. So, that means you are going to have to copy them from the running <G> to the new <G> and figure out how to get them loaded.

You are also going to have to create the necessary directory structure for the <G>, which is similar to that for the <I>, if I recall correctly. Or, you can look at the running <G> and duplicate that on the new <G> hard drive. You have to create all the necessary folders on the C: drive.

Then you are going to have to use a floppy disk to copy c:\CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT from the running <G> to the new <G>. CONFIG.SYS, when run during a start or re-boot of the PC, will create the psuedo drives, F: and G: from the directory structure on the C: drive. AUTOEXEC.BAT will then try to start GDOS, load the necessary drivers, etc.

When finished, you should re-start the new <G>, and it should complain that it can't find the Data Dictionary files, and probably any of the other files like the ARCnet driver or the Ethernet driver.

At this point you are going to have to decide how to get your file transfer scheme to work, or you're going to have to learn how to use file compression software, or to manually copy files to floppies and transfer them to the new <G>.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I don't know anything about fastlink and couldn't find any information about it on the Internet. Even if it's a parallel or serial port file transfer application and cable, it still needs to have drivers or an application loaded on the new <G> to make it work.

You, or the plant management, probably don't want to shut down the other <G>, even temporarily, to do something that would be relatively easy. Many people have added a second hard drive to the second IDE connector in a running Mark V operator interface, booting the running operator interface, then copying the contents of the hard drive to the new hard drive. This is fast and easy. You make the new hard drive bootable when you format it, then copy the contents of the running hard drive to the new hard drive, and you have a virtually complete back-up ready to install.

The only thing you have to worry about if you transfer this hard drive to another PC is the StageLink addressing in F:\CONFIG.DAT. And, probably if it has an Ethernet card you will have to set the address correctly (it's been a VERY long time since I've worked with a <G>; sorry).

Hope this helps. Again, I don't believe the problem has anything to do with Mark V operator interface (including Gateway) software or permissions. I think the problem is something do with either the installation of MS-DOS, or the driver required for fastlink (???).

But, the very first thing I would is make a hard drive back-up of the running <G>. Plant management should be agreeable with that! If the <G> has an optical drive connected to the second IDE connector, you can temporarily disconnect it and connect the new hard drive in its place. You will have to futz with the PC BIOS to get it to recognize the new hard drive, but after that, it should be smooth sailing! (Sorry for all the colloquialisms!)

Write back to let us know how you fare.