Multiple phase motor

K

Kuldip

Dear sir,

I was wondering if you can advice me. I have a meat mincer motor which blows the 13amp fuse when connected to single phase supply. I noted that on nameplate it says 11 phase. How can I run it on single phase?. It has a cap and also a centrifugal switch.

Thanks

S

Stephen King

I my be wrong but I have never heard of an 11 phase motor, at least not in the USA. You my have a scratch next to the "1 phase" marking on the name plate. But with a start cap and a centrifugal switch it must be single phase. Check your voltage and hertz rating on the name plate to see if they match the supply it is connected to. If they match then check your capacitor and centrifugal switch to make sure they are good. But most important, WITH THE POWER OFF, check that the motor is not locked up. It may have a bone or something stuck in it.

Happy Mincing.
Steve
[email protected]

I agree with steve...another option is it could be a 1 with the greek letter phi after it for phase.

As steve states, if it doesn't rotate by hand (with the power off) then something is jammed. If it's not jammed there is not much there to check (i.e. the caps and switch).