HVAC alarm

M

Michael

Hello I am working on a GE frame 6b and in the PEECC I keep getting the alarm HVAC_ALM_ENCL. Does anyone know what is the cause of this problem or where I should start looking?

Michael,

Depending on the type of control system used for your GE-design Frame 6B, there are ways to "work backwards" from a particular alarm message to find out what is causing the alarm. If you could tell us what kind of control system the turbine uses we might be able to tell you how to work through resolving alarms.

This is not a typical alarm for every Frame 6B, and every Frame 6B is not like every other Frame 6B. And, unfortunately, many alarm text messages are not written to provide clear indications of precisely what the alarm condition is.

Here's a SWAG (Scientific Wild-Arsed Guess): Heating-Ventilating-Air-Conditioning Enclosure Alarm. The environment in the PEECC is supposed to be kept free of humidity as well as cool--both to prolong the life of the electrical and electronic components in the PEECC (Packaged Electrical and Electronics Control Compartment). In fact, contrary to popular belief the air conditioners in PEECCs are not there to keep the operators who happen to be in the PEECC cool; they are there primarily to prevent moisture condensation and secondarily to provide cooling to the electronics. Maintaining the proper conditions in the PEECC is very important and so alarms are used to alert operators to problems with the air conditioning system.

Is the air conditioning system in the PEECC functioning properly? Is it too hot or too cold in the PEECC? Is one area of the PEECC warmer or colder than another area of the PEECC? This can happen when one of two or more air conditioners isn't working properly. I've also encountered improperly set thermostats causing two air conditioners to "fight" each other (one producing very cold air and the other sensing that cold air and producing warm air (most HVAC systems provided with PEECCs are "heat pumps" meaning they can function as both cooling and heating devices--again, primarily to prevent moisture condensation).

Hope this helps!