Firing pulse

C

Chandru

Hi all,

I need a clarification in releasing firing pulse for excitation systems in gas power plants...

If i give a firing pulse to rectifier without giving income voltage and without removing the load (rotor connection)...what will happen ...?

If i release a pulse after opening the load...what will happen..?

Please suggest me your ideas...

Chandru,

The firing pulses of rectifier bridges used for excitation systems in any kind of power plant are the same as firing pulses used for any kind of rectifier bridge used for any application.

In my view, it's not possible for a human to control the firing pulse(s) to an excitation system rectifier bridge--except to send a signal to increase or decrease the voltage/current output of the bridge, for whatever reason.

Basically, most excitation control systems (sometimes called exciter regulators or AVRs) have two modes of operation: Manual (or DC) mode, and Automatic (or AC) mode. Even when the control system is in Automatic Mode, it is still sending a signal to the "Manual" or "DC" regulator; in other words, the Manual regulator is an inner loop to the Automatic regulator.

The Automatic Regulator adjusts field current/voltage to maintain a generator terminal voltage setpoint--that "setpoint" is increased or decreased by the operator. The field voltage/current is increased or decreased as necessary to make the generator terminal voltage equal to the reference.

The Manual Regulator's "reference" is field voltage/current, and when the operator is changing the field voltage/current reference the generator terminal voltage responds accordingly.

And the firing pulses of the rectifier bridge(s) are determined and "controlled" by the need to change field voltage/current as necessary, not by an operator or technician.

So, your question is unclear.