Shaft Horse Power

A

Ashraf

Hello friends;

I want to calculate the Shaft horse power of the gas turbine. The Turbine is two shaft. The power turbine connected to the gear box and gear box connected to the dynmometer. At dyno the load cell is attached which gives me a Torque in Lb-ft.

So Raw HP = torque*RPM (Dyno) divided by 5252.1
How i calculate the SHP at Power turbine?

Ashraf,

This is an interesting question I've often considered myself. I don't believe there is a method for calculating the shaft horsepower of the gas generator (high-pressure section) of a two-shaft gas turbine. I don't believe one can attach a dynamometer to the shaft the same way one can attach a dynamometer to the power turbine (low pressure turbine) output shaft.

The gas generator (high pressure section is just that: a device for creating high-pressure, high-temperature gases that can be directed to a power turbine (low pressure section) to drive a load at a variable speed. Gas turbines are rated by the amount of usable power output from the power turbine; the power turbine output shaft provides the torque required by the load (compressor; pump; generator) and that's the work that's useful to humans.

I suppose you could perform some calculations based on the overall heat rate and subtract the power turbine dynamometer value, but that would only be an estimate and not take into account losses for cooling and sealing air and friction and such.