PLC with Foundation Fieldbus based instruments

V

vishu

I have used FF based instruments with DCS but haven't come across FF instruments with PLC. Can anybody help me to understand the possibility and philosophy.

D

david mertens

Siemens has FF integration in combination with S7 300 and 400 series PLCs. It requires extra hardware (DP/FF link). I have ever used it myself so I cannot tell you how good or bad it works.

J
FOUNDATION fieldbus was specifically designed for process control and is therefore primarily used in process control intense industries such as refineries, petrochemical, chemical plants and gas plants etc. These plants use DCS as their main control system, that is why you primarily see FOUNDATION fieldbus support in DCS.

PLC is more for discrete factory automation. In these industries other protocols such as DeviceNet and ASI etc. are more common.

The principal fieldbus protocol used at level 1 of the Purdue reference model, and how tightly that protocol is integrated into the system, is one of the main distinguishing features between a DCS and a PLC today.

Cheers,
Jonas