day/time setting in HMI

E

ESKAY

Dear all,

Ours is a Fr6 Mk v HMI turbine. The time set at present is lagging by 30 mts of the real time. When I right click on the time, to modify the time, it says I have NO privilege to change the time. Time setting through DOS prompt also says the same thing. All the HMI project folders are normally left open without any password administration, which can be opened through START (right click) - and then clicking "Explore." Administrative password is NOT held with us, right from the commissioning of the machine (2003). Could any one guide me about achieving the time changing by any other means.

Mk v experts Please help me to solve this problem.
Thanks in advance.. ESKAY

ESKAY,

It seems your site is STILL blaming the GE Mark V HMI for what appear to be MS-Windows issues.

You haven't told us if the GE Mark V HMI, and Mark V, uses NTP (Network Time Protocol). This would mean a master time signal "generator" was connected to the HMI (or possibly to the PDH Ethernet of the HMI) to send a periodic master time signal to the GE equipment (and likely to other equipment in the plant) that NTP uses to broadcast a periodic time-setting signal to the HMI and the Mark V. While it's not likely that NTP would prevent you from changing the time, if it wasn't set up correctly it might--but it's still not likely.

Which version of MS-Windows is the GE Mark V HMI running?

Which version, and service pack, of CIMPLICITY is the GE Mark V HMI running?

Which version of TCI is the GE Mark V HMI running?

Newer versions of GE Mark V HMIs have, in the MS-Windows Start Menu, a selection under the GE Control Solutions selection, called 'Versions.' Clicking on this will produce an ASCII text file of all the versions of GE Software on the HMI; it present, that should help answer some of the questions. Otherwise, you will have to use Help \ About for major applications (MS-Windows and CIMPLICITY) and look for other methods of answering the other questions.

Which Administrative password are you talking about? The MS-Windows Administrator-level password? If the GE Mark V HMI was set up correctly it should have two (2) MS-Windows Administrative-level logins/UserIDs. One would be the GE login, and the other would be one that was created specifically for your site based on the login name and password supplied by someone at the site during commissioning. This configuration would allow the site to have MS-Windows Administrator-level privileges, AND allow GE to come back to site and also access Administrator-level access, even to reset the site Administrator-level password (because, many sites forget or lose their password or forget their MS-Windows Administrator-level login/UserID).

If you're talking about CIMPLICITY Administrator-level access, I don't think that would prevent one from changing the PC/MS-Windows time.

It is possible that someone has blocked access to the MS-Windows Time/Date function by setting a file attribute, but that would be unusual.

As in previous posts, this does not seem like a problem with any of the software GE provided on the GE Mark V HMI. Rather, it seems, as in previous posts, that a lack of understanding of MS-Windows functions is causing problems at the site.

And, of course, the lack of documentation provided by GE with their vaunted GE Mark V HMIs--even for something as simple as setting the PC Time/Date on their overly complex systems--could also be at least partly to blame.