3-Phase unbalanced power calculation

E

EE

Hi, I have an issue and would like some help.

I have a 3 element heater connected in delta. 4.5KW, 9KW and 9KW. Heaters are powered by 480VAC.

I have measured the following impedance on the heater:

AB: 20.0 Ohms
BC: 27 Ohms
AC: 20.4 Ohms

I also measured line current (current clamp) and got the following readings:

A: 22.3
B: 30.7
C: 22.5.

Could anyone enlighten me as to how I could use these info and calculate the power of this heater assembly? Total power should be 22.5 KW but I cannot come up with the right numbers.

As a last request, could anyone post a link to a website where I could find useful info regarding 3-phase power and related calculations?

Thank you,
EE

EE... the measured ph-ph resistances, i.e., 20.0, 27.0, 20.4 don't agree with those calculated from the kW values and voltage you cited.

For example the R related to the 9.0 kW heating element is V^2/(1000 x 9.0) = 25.6 Ohms! If the rated voltage is 460 instead of 480, then the calculated R is 23.5 Ohms.

The 4.5kW heater would yield 51.2 Ohms @ 480 V, and 47.0 Ohms @ 460-V!

The theoretical and measured Ohms don't even come close! Do you have the actual Vab. Vbc, and Vca voltages related to the measured ph-ph currents Iab, Ibc, and Ica?

Regards, Phil Corso

R
This is a tricky subject although it's made much simpler by not having to worry about power factor.

I would take a guestimate based on calculating the power using the 3 different amperages,
If you want to get the exact kW separate the phases and check the load one element at the time VxA=kW

There is probably a formula for doing this but I use the KISS approach

Roy