advertisement
from the Forum department...
Electrical deviation for drives
Engineering and workplace issues. topic
Posted by Reso on 26 March, 2013 - 7:47 am
Hi,

We recently developed an automated welding system in India and delivered to Phillipines. I checked the voltage rating over the net and found it as 230VAC (like in India). However, upon landing there I was quite surprised to see that there is no neutral there. Phase-Phase for a 3 phase system is also 230V and neutral is absent in the entire plant. We had 2 machines of which 1 was a single phase 230VAC machine. We normally use 230V phase-neutral combination. However, I was not sure if I can use phase-phase 230V to drive the system comprising of SMPS, Servo drive, DC drives etc.I couldnt afford to have a burnt system in a foreign land.

Fortunately they had a step up transformer, hence we took Phase-Ground (110VAC) and stepped up to 230VAC and fed this into the system. This seemed ok, but now the machine had no ground as it seemed useless to connect a ground to the main body. Same thing we did with the 415VAC 3 phase machine by stepping up the voltage.

While the machine works perfectly and I returned back with a satisfied customer there, it has been lingering in my mind if I did the right thing. Life would have been much better if I could have used the ground to connect to the machine frame. I really need some insight into this problem.

Thanks

Your use of this site is subject to the terms and conditions set forth under Legal Notices and the Privacy Policy. Please read those terms and conditions carefully. Subject to the rights expressly reserved to others under Legal Notices, the content of this site and the compilation thereof is © 1999-2014 Nerds in Control, LLC. All rights reserved.

Users of this site are benefiting from open source technologies, including PHP, MySQL and Apache. Be happy.

Fortune
If anything can go wrong, it will.
Advertise here
advertisements
Control.com is the largest Automation community on the web. Learn how to advertise here now...
Servo, stepping motor control, analog & web HMI in one system!
View free setup and multi-vendor EtherCAT demo videos online
Time to incorporate data handling, web HMI and motion in one system!
Servo, steppers, analog, digital & web HMI - Fully Integrated!
our advertisers
Help keep our servers running...
Patronize our advertisers!
Visit our Post Archive