Lube oil filter on GE Frame 9FA

A

ashutosh

we have a lube oil filtration system for our GE Frame 9FA machines. The lube oil filter is having continuous vent for removing air. But the vent is working only when we are opening the 1/2" Filter drain valve. pl suggest the cause.

the lube oil pump pressure is 110 psi at a flow of 1050 GPM. the lube oil pumps are of buffalo make and the filter unit is Parker make.

[email protected]

Ashutosh,

You also have a P&ID of the lube oil system, which you can use to understand how the drain and vent are attached to the lube oil filter "canister"/vessel. It would also be advisable to review the L.O. & Accessory compartment drawings to be sure you are operating the correct valves; the P&ID is just a schematic representation of the system and components, not an actual physical location of the components.

Have you used the L.O. P&ID to investigate the connections of the vent and the drain to the filter vessel? There are generally two filter vessels, with a transfer valve which can generally be used to switch from one filter vessel to the other while the unit is running. There is also a usually transfer fill valve which is used to fill a vessel after new filters have been installed, and to ensure a filter vessel is filled with oil before switching to it while the unit is running.

It's a very poor practice of GE-packaged equipment, but they don't usually label the various valves very well. When I've seen this complaint in the past, it usually turns out that the wrong valves were being operated.

If you have the same problem with both filter vessels, I would suspect the wrong valves are being operated. If not, I would suspect a possible (but not likely) tubing problem.

Please write back to let us know what you find after you have reviewed the L.O. P&ID.