PLC Application software infection

A

any

Is that possible that the Application software running on Windows based engineering workstation effect the PLC when the Window is get infected by Virus? I need some documentation proof. The viruses detected were Win32 type.

Waiting for response.

B

Bob Peterson

> Is that possible that the Application software running on Windows based
> engineering workstation effect the PLC when the Window is get infected by
> Virus? I need some documentation proof. The viruses detected were Win32 type.

Wait no longer. here is my response.

Yes, it is "possible".

However, unless you are in Iran, the chances are very good that unexplained things going on with your PLC controlled equipment are not due to viruses, but are just the "normal" kinds of software and logic bugs that all control systems have in them.

--
Bob
http://ilbob.blogspot.com/

F

Fred Loveless

There are controller manufactures that are using embedded Windows on there devices or hybrid systems. These could easily get a virus under the correct conditions. I would suspect that it would have to be very sophisticated to alter the controller project and still allow it to work. Most like it would crash the controller and you would then have to do a restore of some kind.

This can, and has, happened. I have an ICS cyber incident database with many cases of Windows viruses on ICS equipment. In fact, I have seen this specific virus on a DCS as well as on PLCs.

Joe Weiss