Unloading interval

Dears,

What could be the best practice to stop the GE Frame-9E machine while on 100% load (100 MW)?

The reason we are asking that, grid control room are asked us to stop the machine immediately when they feel not necessary.

As of now we are going for unloading at 10 MW interval and once reached 5 MW "Stop" command will be given.

We assume that if "Stop" given at 100 MW it'll treat as trip procedure.

Your suggestions /advice are highly welcome.

Take care
G.Rajesh

The best practice would be to give the gas turbine a normal shutdown command.

The SPEEDTRONIC control (Mark II, IV, V, VI or VIe) will unload the unit at the normal automatic load/unload rate, will trip the breaker on reverse power and then go on a fired shutdown which will shut off the fuel at a low speed. This minimizes thermal shock to the unit. Tripping it from full load is the worst way to shut it down; the method you described, while better than a full load trip, is still worse than the GE provided normal shutdown sequence.

I operate frame 6b. We deal with the same problem. And the same procedure I applied. Reducing the load up to 5 mw then proceed the stop command.

I think you can also push the stop button when 100% load and the control system will automaticly reducing the load from 100% to 0%. The control system has specific unloading curve depend on your engine and maybe has been customized to your site condition.

So there is nothing to worry about. It wont be the same with trip.

Thank you Otised & Riko for your feedback's.

We too noticed in manual that stop command can be given at base load.

Earlier we had confused with emergency stop command.

Thanks again.

Take care
G.Rajesh