connecting Micrologix1200 to computer

M

marty

Hello. Total Newb here.

I have a Micrologix 1200 that my boss bought off ebay to play w/ a while back, along w/ RSLogix 500 v.7.00.00. and cable. Found pin out diagram for cable and it seems OK. No idea if 1200 is good. It is only connected to 120v AC power. I've put it in DCOMM mode.

I seem to have finally got software loaded. I have Windows 7, and am using Virtual PC and W-XP mode.

In RSLinx it kinda seems like unit is connected, but doesn't show any packets getting through, and gives me error something like "The target node is not SLC500 or micrologix controler."

I'm tired of chasing my tail, so i'm hoping someone can give me some pointers. Ultimately i need to connect to a ML1500 and attempt some changes. Would it be good to play w/ 1200 before going after 1500, or is it a waste of time? Physically it's hard to get to the 1500; the 1200 i can have on my desk.

thx. again.

Marty

C

Curt Wuollet

In RSLinx, go to configure drivers select the RS232/RS485 devices entry usually at the top of the list. Hit autoconfigure. This usually works. Then go back to RSLogix and you should be able to connect.

Regards
cww

I don't see that selection. Top one is "RS-232 DF1 devices". Only one w/ 485 in it is "1784-KT /KTX(D)/PKTX(D)/PCMK for DH+/DH-485 devices".

I think i have com port setting set to 19.2/8/none/1 in Windows 7 and Windows XP mode. Could that be messing me up?

Thx.
Marty

S
Assuming you're using a real or USB serial cable from your PC, RS232 DF1 devices is the one you want. You'll know it's successful when the PLC shows up in the tree display on the left and in the big blank window on the right.

If the 1200 has been set to some weird node number or something, then if it's like a SLC, there's a way to reset the comm parameters to default. In a SLC, you take out the battery and short a couple of pins for a couple minutes and it clears the processor, including returning port settings to default, which should be easily found using the AutoDetect as Curt suggests.

I set station # to 00, error checking to CRC, Device to PLC-CH0. Auto configue doesn't work. Hit OK anyway and shows as running. In Drive Diagnostics there appears to be no packets getting through. I'd assume if they were connected the PLC would return some.

I'll see what i can dig up re: resetting PLC.
Thx.

I installed software on another computer running WXP. Linx seems to 1200 but Logix isn't running. Maybe a license thing. Working on it now....

C

Curt Wuollet

Add that top driver and select configure. there is an autoconfigure button, click that. What you have the port set to won't make any difference as RSlinx will reconfigure it. I can't say about W7, I run RSLogix on XP . The autoconfiugre should try a bunch of things and usually finds the right one. If you've messed with the 1200, try pushing the comm button. Kill anything else that could be using the port. It's usually fairly easy to get these talking.

Regards
cww

C

Curt Wuollet

No. they are readable by the plc but have nothing to do with comms. There is a little com button that you can try poking it's supposed to change between programming mode and user mode.

Regards
cww

C
P.S. Standard Windows advice. reboot after any failed attempts. PPS Make sure the driver you want is the only one running and try stopping it and restarting it. And try stop, configure.

Regards
cww

B
A couple of suggestions.

I have not had much luck getting RSLogix500 to work with either serial port driver DF1 or DH485 in W7. Works fine in XP.

RSlinx does not like to share the serial port. If you have anything else configured to use it, you ened to remove that and reboot. You will also likely need to reboot after you remove the DH485 driver to get the DF1 driver to work. My suggestions is remove all RSLinx drivers and reboot and see if you can add the DF1 driver back in and autoconfig it. If autoconfig does not work, try another com port. The serial port on computers is not always com1. You can usually figure out what it is in system manager.

I also had a case once where windows decided I did not have a serial port at all despite it being there physically. I don't recall what it took to get it back.

The simplest answer might well be just to call AB tech support. That is why you pay for tech support.

--
Bob
http://ilbob.blogspot.com/

Thx for you your replies.

I think i have it working on another computer running W-XP.

If i upload a program from PLC to computer does the program also stay in the PLC? I thought i read somewhere that modifying a program using software that is different than that which the program was created can cause problems. Do i need to be worried? I don't want to get in over my head. I'm hoping i can upload program and save it. Then modify a different version. If i get in trouble i can download the original version.

Thx.
Marty

Hi Marty,

I try to check with Rockwell Automation knowledge base any topic related to your case ("The target node is not SLC500 or micrologix controler.") and I found answers which I hope useful for you :

3872 - RSLogix 500: Target node is not a SLC or MicroLogix

Date Created: 06/23/1998 02:23 PM
Last Updated: 02/18/2013 10:31 AM

Target node is not a SLC 500 or MicroLogix

In RSLogix 500, try to go online via the PIC driver through RSLinx and gets the error message:
Error:" target node is not a SLC 500 or MicroLogix controller. "

1. The PIC driver node address was set to 1. The SLC was also 1 which created a duplicate node situation.

2. Using an older version of RSLogix 500 and try to go online with a processor with newer firmware.

1. Change the PIC driver configuration (In RSLinx) to node 0.

2. Update RSLogix 500 Software.

68604 - Error: Target node is not a SLC or MicroLogix controller

Date Created: 05/13/2010 05:20 PM
Last Updated: 01/12/2013 01:21 AM

Problem

When trying to get online with ML1400 you get the following error:

Target node is not a SLC or MicroLogix.

This occurs whether trying to go online via Ethernet or Serial.
Solution

Check the version of RSLogix 500.

It must be version 8 or later.

Hope these help

Ikhtiander

E

Eddie Willers

If you are getting an error message that says 'not an SLC or MicroLogix controller', that proves that your cable and port selections are all correct.

Usually the MicroLogix is DF1 "Node 0" and RSLinx is "Node 1". If you accidentally set RSLinx as the same node as the MicroLogix, RSLinx can end up seeing its own packets and giving you the 'not an SLC or MicroLogix' error code.

That error code also shows up if the firmware in the controller is newer than the software can support, because the software won't recognize the controller's identity code.

RSLogix 500 version 7.0 was released in May of 2005, so just a little over 8 years ago. So it's entirely possible that your MicroLogix 1200 controller is newer than the software, and you need to upgrade RSLogix 500.

You should be able to determine the MicroLogix firmware level by right-clicking on the MicroLogix icon in the RSLinx/RSWho browse and selecting 'Device Properties'.

Thx to all for you help. I'm able to connect to machine w/ ML1500, which was my goal. It worked w/ computer running WXP. Not sure why didn't work using W7 and XP mode.

Machine runs inconsistently. Will run a few parts then not run in middle of sequence. Learning about the ladder program but don't understand it fully by any means. It should be possible to run machine through RSLogix program, yes? I just need to put correct bits in table that are normally sent to the PLC from the panel view? I'm hoping running it from computer will show where possible bug is. Of course it could be something like loose wire? So frustrating.....