Use MS Excel cell data in RSView32

M

MAR

I want to import live data from an excel spreadsheet into RSView32. I believe this can be done through a DDE Server but I don't know how to go about configuring it. The excel sheet and the HMI will run on the same machine so there is no networking involved.

In short, I have an excel file whose cell values get updated regularly. I want to use these values as tags in RSView so that I can configure alarms etc. on them and display them in a schematic.

Your help will be highly appreciated!

D

David Ferguson

I have done this, I believe it is either in RSLinx help files or on knowledgebase.

If not send me contact info to Dave [dot] ferguson [@] upm [dot] com (fix spelling) and I will forward a spreadsheet I do this with....

I wrote VBA code so when you press a button it writes to PlC.

Dave Ferguson
Control Systems Engineer

G

Gerald Beaudoin

TN # 20434 describes Using RSLinx to Write Data from Excel Spreadsheet to ControlLogix. Maybe that will help?

Cheers
Gerald

F

Fred Loveless

You will need to do a DDE connection (not Advanced DDE) to the excel spread sheet. The DDE Application name will be MSExcel, The DDE topic will be the spreadsheet name and the address will be the row and column descriptor, for example R1C1 for the first cell.

What is TN # 20434? Plus, I want to write into RSView directly, not into ControlLogix.

> TN # 20434 describes Using RSLinx to Write Data from Excel Spreadsheet to
> ControlLogix. Maybe that will help?

I
Hi MAR,

Yo would be able to write RSV32 from MS Excel and have the RSV32 passed mentioned data to PLC by configure Excel to be DDE server and RSV32 as DDE client. Then, using derived tags, you will be able to move tag values from DDE tags to a PLC tags.

System structure as following :

Excel <-- DDE ---> RSView32 <----- OPC ----> SLC505

On the following link you will find example based on SLC-505, you would be need to register to HIGHTAIL first before get access:

https://www.hightail.com/download/bWJxU2VvYXlmVGJMbjhUQw

Hope this help

Ikhtiander

Which email address do I need to enter to validate the download? It keeps telling me that the sender specified some different email when I try entering my own.