Mark V not responding

R

Robert

The command select is showing DCS control highlighted on the control hierarchy and is making it difficult for the Turbine to be controlled either on local or Remote. Also in trying to start the turbine to on the BOI (back up) of the speedtronic Gas Fuel is selected and efforts to change to Distillate. Knowing that Logic can not be forced on the BOI how do we go about these problems.

B

Bob Johnston

Please try and give us some more information. Are you saying that the HMI is totally unresponsive? Have you tried re-booting the HMI? Tell us more about your system, do you only have one HMI?

Is the DCS not capable of controlling the GT at this time? Is the "Master Control" not set for "Remote" or "Cable Remote" or "Serial Remote" or "DCS"?

Control Hierarchy is one method by which operation from other "locations" is prevented when one location is selected and active. It is a VERY confusing option that was not sold very often, and if not commissioned properly left several sites with operational problems (such as it sounds you are having).

It may require a password, but if you want to operate the turbine from the Local or Remote (or even the <BOI> on some configurations) you need to select the location that it is desired to operate the turbine from. And, then, if you want to switch back to the DCS, then you need to follow the procedure to do that (likely the same one you will use to switch to Local or Remote (or <BOI> if so configured).

I don't recall if Control Hierarchy is described in any of the GE Mark V manuals, or the GE Mark V HMI manual (you didn't say if you have an <I> or a GE Mark V HMI), but I'm certain the operation of the <BOI> is described in the GE Mark V Operator's Manual, GEH-5979.

If the <BOI> is properly configured you should be able to change to the Fuel Selection display, select Gas Fuel, then "execute" the enabling by following the procedure in the Manual.

Also, with or without the <BOI>, it is necessary to select a fuel BEFORE reaching 14HM or AFTER reaching 14HS; otherwise the Speedtronic blocks the fuel change during firing and acceleration, and shutdown below 14HS. And it will only be possible to change fuels if the permissives for the fuel being changed to are met in the CSP, regardless of the speed.

So, it should NOT be necessary to force anything, if you change the "master" control (I think is how it was termed for the Control Hierachy function) to be at the location where you desire to operate the unit from.

Lastly, I think there is an ASCII text configuration file in one of the directories of the F: drive (possibly even in the root directory) which may have some comments in the file which may be helpful. I can't recall the filename or filename extension, but the filename should be descriptive, so have a review of the files in all the directories of the F: drive (except for F:\CUSTOMER and F:\SPOOL) and use an ASCII text editor to view the contents of the most descriptive of the filenames to see if you can find the proper file.

In the worst case, you could probably edit the ASCII text file F:\CONFIG.DAT and comment out the OPTIONS line for Control Hierarchy (by placing a semicolon at the beginning of the line) and then re-starting the <I> or HMI. That should disable (until you remove the semicolon and re-boot) Control Hierarchy if this is an "emergency."