Differential expansion Measurement

S

Sankar

I’m working as a project engineer. in our project we are having two differential expansion measurement. We are using Bently nevada 3300 XL 25 mm Transducer. For HP Differential expansion we are using direct differential expansion probe, and for LP Differential expansion We are using Complementary differential input method. my question is what is the difference between this two methods and Complementary differential expansion measuring principle?

And one more doubt, while doing rack configuration in Bently Nevada for differential expansion and axial displacement, there is option away from the probe/towards the probe. kindly clear which option i have to select?

Have you used the Bently-Nevada 'Help' for your queries? If so, what did you not find explained sufficiently for you to understand?

The Internet search engine search term was (including the double quotes):

"complementary differential expansion measurement"

The first relevant response was:

http://www.skf.com/binary/12-19826/Complementary-Differential-Expansion-with-DMx.pdf

(Remove any spaces inserted by the forum software when pasting into the address bar of your preferred Internet search engine.)

<b>Moderator's note:</b> the PDF doesn't seem to want to open in Firefox, but works fine in Safari.

Dear CSA,

Thanks for your information, now the complementary concept is clear. But still Have doubts in Upscale direction setting in configuration (Towards/away from the probe). Can u explain briefly

sankar,

I was doing two things in my last post. First, I was asking if you'd tried using the 'Help' feature of the Bently-Nevada configuration software, and, second, asking if you'd used your preferred Internet search engine to try to research any of your questions.

Good to hear you were able to read the recommended article. As for an exact answer to your query about "...Upscale direction configuration (Towards/away from the probe)...." I would ask again if you've consulted the B-N 'Help' feature for information.

I could also offer this scientific guess: It might be the way of telling the B-N if the Upscale direction for differential expansion occurs when the shaft collar moves towards or away from the probe (since the "bracket" for the probe could be, or may have to be, mounted on a particular side of the shaft collar--and that could be different for different turbines.?.?.?

I haven't used B-N configuration software for quite a while, but I've heard their 'Help' screens have gotten better. (That may be a relative thing, since they were virtually non-existent the last time I used the configuration software.)

Always try to use the manufacturer's 'Help' feature, when available, or use their documentation (printed, or .pdf). In the business, there's a saying: RTFM! (Read The ...Fine... Manual!)

Hope this helps!