Automatization of a Distribution Transformer Test System

G

Guillermo López

Hello everyone good morning,

I'm an electrical engineering student and am currently doing my internship at a distribution transformer factory.

My project involves the modernization of the testing room, there are performed routine test for distribution transformers using a TTS (Transformer Test System).

The TTS allows push buttons to regulate the output voltage to perform the following tests:

- Load losses and impedance voltage.
- Core loss
- Applied voltage
- Induced voltage

The TTS employee factory currently employs technology in the late 80s. That is why, to exercise the same control work employs approximately 30 relays.

Researching on new technologies for these applications, I find that currently used PLCs and HMI (Human machine interface) to control the system.

As you may have noticed I have not much experience in PLCs. However, I am researching and made some Ladder language programs and done some simulations.

The factory employs a Yokogawa WT210 measuring device with RS-232-C. This port would allow me to perform data acquisition, but my question is how to use these data acquired by the Yokogawa device to perform control tasks.

For example, the PLC device implements Yokogawa receive interest parameters such as current, voltage and power, and based on these data to guide decisions actuators?

If the PLC receives this data, be programmed in Ladder language?
How to implement the HMI?

For the execution of tests, the idea that I have is a PC with a program (HMI) perform the tests, have automatic and manual mode.

In automatic mode, must be selected transformer data and the type of test, after clicking to start, the control system should increase the voltage or current to the desired value, then save the data to an excel file and bring the voltage to 0V .

In manual mode, must be introduced a voltage or output current and then press Start to get the output desired.

Since no factory has now a PLC, would be very useful to be able to simulate the process by software's that allow me to make the graphical interface and programming that involves the process.

Thank you very much for your attention, any help is welcome. Greetings!