First Impressions AB Micro 810

C

Curt Wuollet

Hi all

The Click project went well and has been shuffled in the priorities list. I was left quite favorably impressed.

Another much larger project looms that will need a lot of small PLCs. For the sake of due diligence, I inquired with the local AB distributor since this involves VFDs as well and I'm fine with Powerflex and Micrologix. I mentioned that I was cost conscious as the functionality needed is quite limited. I wanted all DC transistor outs and it seems that is not offered with Micrologix. The pricing was higher than I recall as well. But down at the bottom there was a quote for a new item, a Micro 810 PLC for $89. I was bowled over. This sounded like the best of both worlds, the name that customers like and a price to compete with even AD. Happened when I wasn't looking.

Researching, I was more and more enthused. Free software, standard connectors, everything that annoyed me about AB was addressed and the best software, err, no, wait a minute. This uses something called Connected Components Workbench. That trips off the tongue. OK so I'll check it out.

I was expecting a bare bones tool, boy was that wrong. It's a two gigabyte download. And it takes two hours to install. And it didn't work. Checked the requirements. OK, Tried again, with IT in attendance. Still didn't work. Called support, latest version probably won't work with XP. OK went back a version. Two gig download, two hours+ installing. Started at glacial speed and more or less completely non-intuitive. Went home a bit discouraged, I really want to like this option. Briefly discussed getting a high end laptop to run it. That would sorta kill the economics. Came in fresh in the morning and read some and watched a few demos. Managed to eek out a few rungs of ladder. Painful, like Step7 and Cimplicity or whatever GE is calling it this week. A world away from RSLogix 500 in the wrong direction IMHO. It proudly displays it is powered by MS Visual Studio, I think they included the whole studio, and the Redmond headquarters and a couple warehouses. It slices, it dices, it does julienne carrots and radish roses and talks to drives and panel views. It feels like they just sent a dump of their whole fileserver.

I'm aware some people like this sort of thing, and I won't rule it out. After all, lots of PLCs require software that I don't particularly like to use. If management likes the low cost AB option, I'll order one out and proceed. Right now, I think the price premium for Micrologix looks better and the Click better yet. Koyo's software is that much improved. Maybe, eventually, this will improve too.

More later
cww