Combustion Chamber

D

Dhinesh

Dear Sir,

Kindly help me to understand how a Gas Turbine Combustion Chamber Tuning will be done? What does it mean? What is the reference parameter and what will be the variable parameter? It would be better if the terminologies are related to Siemens. Else please try to avoid any abbreviations in the explanation.

Thank you in advance.

Dhinesh,

Every manufacturer accomplishes gas turbine emissions reduction in a slightly different manner. I am personally only familiar with GE-design heavy duty gas turbines, and so can only address them here. But, I believe, there are some similarities that you can use to further your understanding.

For GE-design heavy duty gas turbines, "emissions tuning" involves changing the fuel flow-rates between various fuel nozzles in each combustor in order to optimize emissions (NOx) and keep dynamic pressure pulsations in the combustors to a minimum.

I think that as with GE-design heavy duty gas turbines there are several versions of dry low NOx combustor designs for Siemens gas turbines, and the tuning of each one is done to achieve slightly different objectives, but optimization of NOx emissions and reduced combustor dynamic pressure pulsations (which can cause mechanical damage to the combustor components) are likely the same, primary reasons tuning is done for both manufacturer's turbines.

Dear Sir,

Thank you to your reply.

Our GT has annular combustion chamber (CC) with 24burners. There is a control valve that can control the entire common fuel supply to ring header. I couldn’t see any provision that can control the duel to every burner’s thereby we can control NOx and CC humming. How to vary it? Can you please explain with a GE model accordingly I can compare here. How to judge in a particular situation pilot CV tuning required and main fuel tuning is required?

I heard as the temperature will be controlled by controlling the amount of fuel/air and burner area. I don’t know how will it be possible to adjust burner area?

In addition we have signals named as 2G, 3G, 4g …8G and for acceleration measurement. Based on the severity the ramp down rate will increase or trip will be initiated. I don’t understand this unit measurement and terminology.

Thank you in advance.

As a beginner to GT commissioning I am seeking for the GT commissioning activities in detail to learn