Bootp related questions

S

Sean

Hi. I have used Bootp utility all the time to assign IP address to MLX1100 successfully, but I always had few questions. Just FYI, I am using Rockwell Bootp/DHCP Server Utility 2.3.

#1) Why doesn't my home router/modem send bootp requests? Or at least I don't see them in the request history panel of the Bootp utility?

#2) Can a PLC broadcast DHCP requests, rather than Bootp requests?

#3) Related to the previous question, what does the Enable DHCP button do? An industrial process network cannot have a PLC's IP address changing on its own, and I guess that is the reason for Bootp being used, not DHCP. But I guess in some applications (I don't know), dynamic addressing doesn't matter therefore DHCP can be used, hence the "Enable DHCP" function. Is my reasoning correct?

#4) What is in the Bootp image that the client needs from the boot server?

B

Bob Peterson

I don't know how your home router is setup. I doubt it handles things via bootp though. Every one I have seen uses DHCP.

At least most PLCs can use DHCP or can have a fixed IP. I have never quite understood what benefit there would be to having other than a fixed IP address on industrial control equipment, but you can usually configure them to work that way.

I have never used other than fixed IP addresses for industrial control purposes. I have no idea when using DHCP to assign an IP address would ever be useful.

I don't know what a bootp image is.