time synchronization

S

Sami

i just need to know is it possible to synchronize the time between DCS (Honeywell) and third part package (Allan Bradly). they are linked together via Ethernet cable.

please contact me .... [email protected]

J

James Ingraham

Short version: don't. Synchronize them both to something else, e.g. GPS or NTP. Allen-Bradley makes a Logix Clock Update Tool that runs on a PC. Presumably, you can get a Honeywell DCS to sync to something.

-James Ingraham
Sage Automation, Inc.

I
Sami,

What type of Allen-Bradley PLC you want to synchronized the time with?

If the PLC is Logix Family PLC (Controllogix or Compact Logix), so next question is, because I don't have programming experience with Honeywell DCS. does your DCS support ethernet/IP communication protocol, so Honeywell DCS will be able to access Logix PLC tag using "CIP generic messaging"?

Then I assumed that DCS will be master and your AB Logix PLC will be slave, means that DCS will be send it's current time to AB PLC each certain period of time.

If confirmed that your AB PLC is Logix family and your DCS support
ethernet/IP communication protocol ("produce consume" or "CIP generic messaging") and the master is DCS, so next step is:

If use CIP generic messaging method:

- Create CIP generic messaging in DCS (I don't know how, because I dont have any programming experience with Honeywell DCS, but if it is confirmed that "CIP generic messaging"is supported, you can ask Honeywell technical support)

- Messaging parameter is
* Service code: 4
* Class name: 8b
* Instance name: 1
* Source: array variable with type Integer and width 20 elements
* Number of elements: 32 bytes

- Put your DCS time (in integer) to be sent to the array element:
* Year: 3
* Month: 5
* Day: 7
* Hours: 9
* Minute: 11
* Second: 13
* Microsecond: 15

- Execute the messaging

Hope this help

S

Sami Alghlam

thank you very much Posted by Ikhtiander

yes our system is Honeywell using TCP/IP protocol as well as the Allan Bradly PLC is RSLOGIX family. i will try to. Honeywell got software called quick builder where honestly i am not sure wither this software support CIP generic messaging mode or not, will try to contact Honeywell technician regarding.