Suicide Relay in MarkVIe ToolboxST

In MarkVIe ToolboxST it is seen that in PAIC-1A4A card the variables Name is OUTsuicide1, the Direction is Input, the Data Type is BOOL and the Description is "Status of Suicide Relay for Output1". My question is what does Suicide Relay mean and what is its functions?

Rokan Uddin,

Have you used the 'Help' feature of ToolboxST, or looked this up in GEH-6721, the Mark VIe System Guide (usually in Volume II, in the PAIC section)? (The same information will be in both places.)

I haven't encountered a Suicide Relay on an milliamp output before, but they are commonly used on servo-valve outputs. You can see the relay contacts on the drawings of the outputs, and effectively they short the output so that zero current comes out of the panel when the suicide relay is "activated" (I think the Suicide Relay is normally energized when there is no problem, and de-energized when there is a problem, but I may be wrong about the implementation on a milliamp output of a milliamp input card).

Again, what did the ToolboxST 'Help' description say about this, and what does GEH-6721 say about this?

Unfortunately, I don't have access to GE Mark VIe documents at this writing.

Dear Rokan,

from the GE manual, GEH-6721D Mark VIe Control System Guide Volume II, the following description of the operation of the suicide relay for each analog output for the PAIC.

"Each analog output circuit also includes a normally open mechanical relay to enable or disable operation of the output. The relay is used to remove a failed output from a TMR system allowing the remaining two PAICs to create the correct output without interference from the failed circuit. When the suicide relay is de-activated, the output opens through the relay, open-circuiting that PAIC's analog output from the customer load that is connected to the terminal board. The mechanical relay’s second normally open contact is used as a status to indicate position of the relay to the control and includes visual indication with an LED."

If you do not have access to your manuals you should be able to sign up on GE's Controls Connect website to get access to those manuals.