Second Generator automatic startup based on load setpoint

A

Adrian Tomes

Considering an isolated grid powered by a generator, is it possible to automatically start a second generator when the load increases above a certain threshold?

Additionally, how would the load be shared between the two generators?

Adrian Tomes,

It most certainly is possible to automatically start a second generator to connect ("parallel" or "synchronize") to an isolated grid (sometimes called an "island" grid) when the load on the first generator increases above a certain threshold.

One doesn't really start a generator though; one starts the generator's prime mover (a diesel engine, or a steam- or gas turbine). And, the prime mover's governor (control system) controls speed and load-sharing in response to signals from human operators or from automatic load-sharing control systems which can be configured and programmed to send signals to share the load in any number of possible ways to multiple governors.

R

Roberto Benedetti

Adrian Tomes,

I had a very similar question a few days back, and CSA gave me very clear explanations.

Here's the link to the thread, I think you will find it interesting:
<http://www.control.com/thread/1391010627>

CSA explains how a control system that would do what you describe would work. However, we don't know if that control system exists off the shelf for small applications like microgrids - and how much it would cost.

I will continue to ask around to know if a standard solution to this problem exists, and I'll let you know if I find it.
Please do the same if you hear of something!

Rob

A

adrian tomes

Thanks for the quick replies. That thread was clarified a lot of things Rob. It seems a two generator system would be both expensive and complex. The cheapest solution would probably be to find generators with built in parallel run functionality.