Time Synch in MKV Speedtronic

B

behzad

We have the problem of time synchronization in HMI. On MKV speedtronic control system HMI time change its self. Whenever we adjust its time with DCS, after half an hour its time changed.

Guys please help me out about this problem.

behzad,

Mark Vs have been in service for a long time, and as such, it's likely this problem hasn't been occurring since the Mark V was commissioned at your site. When troubleshooting problems like this, it's very important to stop and ask, "When did the problem start?" In other words, what changed prior to the start of the problem?

In this case, did someone change the PC clock? Did someone upgrade some software on the "HMI" and then this problem started?

Many people mistakenly refer to the original operator interfaces provided with early Mark V turbine control panels as "HMIs". Technically, they are known as <I> operator interfaces. <I>s run MS-DOS and a proprietary multitasking operating system called IDOS.

Later Mark V turbine control panels were provided with GE Mark V HMI operator interfaces, which ran some version of MS-Windows and a grahpical user interface built using GE Fanuc CIMPLICITY. (Many sites with <I>s were upgraded to GE Mark V HMI operator interfaces, also.)

There were also several versions of "time synching" used with the various Mark V operator interfaces.

So, there is a LOT of information you would need to provide for us to be of any appreciable help: the specific type of operator interface; how many operator interfaces are connected to the Mark V turbine control panel; whether or not Time Synch is used at your site; the type of Time Synch (GE Time Synch, or NTP, an open source time synching protocol); what the master time source is (GPS; DCS; etc.); and so on.

You might even mean "...Whenever we adjust it's time with DCS,..." that you are manually changing the operator interface time to match the DCS time instead of some automatic time synch method which employs a card in the operator interface CPU and one of a several different time synching applications/protocols. It's just not clear. It's also not clear if the time on the Mark V panel is changing, or just the time on the Mark V operator interface (<I> or HMI).

I will say that if the time always adjusts itself by exactly one half hour, then it's probably something amiss with the "internal" PC clock. Now, that might be the PC's BIOS clock/battery is failing, or that the MS-Windows Date/Time clock thinks it's now daylight saving time somewhere in the world. There is a file on the Mark V operator interface somewhere on the F: drive (the root of F:, I believe) called TIMEZONE.DAT. And this file is used by the Mark V application running on the PC to adjust the clock on the HMI. Since, in some parts of the world, the time of the year that daylight saving time (or its equivalent) changes this file needs to be updated. I believe if you look in your GE Mark V manuals (either the Application Manual, GEH-6195, or the HMI manual, GEH-6nnnn (sorry, I can't recall the exact number) you can find instructions for updating the file.

Again, there's a <b>LOT</b> of information--<b>and clarification</b>--you would have to provide for us to be any further help. And you would need to provide all of the information suggested above to be of any further help.