Actuator indication and control

D

David Sutcliffe

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and I was hoping you good folks could help...

I have a Rotork actuator with a wiring diagram of 3000-000.

It has an internal 24vdc supply off terminals 4 & 5 and four volt free contacts.

I have constant 415v supply to it.

How would I wire it up to be push to run open/close/stop commands and achieve close and open indication?

Many thanks in advance,

David,

Other types of actuators use two drive signals:

- one signal drives the actuator 'open'
- the other signal drives the actuator 'closed'

The actuator drives in whichever direction the signal tells it to for as long as the signal connection to that terminal is 'made'. The control scheme has to ensure that both signals cannot be 'on' at the same time.

In small actuators, the motor's voltage/drive current is supplied to the wiring terminal for the duration.

It appears from the description on the wiring diagram

'Control signal threshold voltags to be minimum 'on' 20V AC/DC
Maximum 'off' = 3V
Minimum control signal duration to be 300mS'

that in a larger actuator like this that the control signal is just a control signal (24Vdc or 120Vac) which does not drive the motor windings directly.

I would deduce that when terminal 33 gets a valid control signal (the other side of which connection to either terminal 36 or 40 [common -VE for DC or AC, respectively]) that the actuator will drive in the 'closed' direction, until the control signal drops out or the actuator drives to the closed limit and its limit switch stops further movement.

Likewise, connecting a control signal to terminal 35 (open) will drive the actuator open.

Stop/Maintain is likely a means to stop the motor in its travel (probably by opening both open and closed control signal paths internally).

Indication
The description for S1-S4 says that S1 to S4 are indication circuits.

S1's description "Make at Fully Shut" says that S1's 2 wire output is a binary indication that means the actuator is at its fully closed position.

I'm guessing it's dry contacts, but you could check with a voltmeter, then an ohmmeter to see. A more comprehensive installation manual probably tells you.